Find the answer to your Linux question:
I go to school and they just proudly anounced that they offer wireless. Problem is that it is windows proprietery with 128 encriptions (wep) I really don't know the right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless in Slack

I go to school and they just proudly anounced that they offer wireless. Problem is that it is windows proprietery with 128 encriptions (wep)
    I really don't know the right question to ask here but here it goes. How do I configure that in Slackware 10? I know this is a general question but hopefully I can get enough information to point me in the right direction. Is it even possible for Slack to use wep? The say wep is not safe but I haven't been able to crack it yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

by the way I am using a toshiba laptop with a pcmcia orinoco silver card with I belive orinoco drivers. Also at home I use mac authentication and my wireless works good at home. I just can't get passed the WEP

Thanks,
    Mike

there is a variation of the ifconfig command, something like iwfconfig that will allow you to handle that. KDE and GNOME both offer packages that will monitor and let you configure wireless network settings. if you havent been able to get past WEP, airsnort will let you errr... test.... your networks key....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I was in school last night and I tried iwconfig. It found the network, but never asked about encryption. I need to add the wep settings but iwconfig didn't get me there. On the interface (kwifimanager) it says encryption off, but the AP is wep controlled. Do you have any other ideas?
    Mike