Find the answer to your Linux question:
Actually i got problem i installed LINUX along with XP by leaving unpartitioned space i was making both on my system what i did means? i removed linux partitions then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing win XP over LINUX

Actually i got problem i installed LINUX along with XP by leaving unpartitioned space
    i was making both on my system what i did means? i removed linux partitions then i tried to boot the sys (actual booting was LINUX(primary))it is giving GRUB> prompt i can't do anything if i reboot with LINUX it goes on If go with XP it goes stopped
    what will be the problem if any of you people knows reply with answer
    but i 'll try my best and seeking for ur help............................
    thanx

oz
    forum.guy
    You should be able to use your Windows XP installation disk, a Windows emergency boot disk, or the SuperGRUB LiveCD to restore the Windows bootloader to your MBR.

If the system doesn't boot properly after that, you might need to post the output of fdisk -l here so that we can see your current partition structure in order for anyone to give further help/advice.
    oz

I am not understanding your problem.

You have removed Linux Partitions. Do you want to fix Windows OS or install fresh copy of Windows OS?

If you want to re-install both OSes then boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro, open Terminal and execute this command :
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    Above command will *wipe* your Hard disk (all partitions and GRUB). Install Windows OS first. Create free space for Linux after Windows OS installation and install Linux.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I think narayana21g you have deleted or removed the Linux partition from your computer thus leaving the Grub in a confused state since it needs to find information from the /boot partition in Linux. If you want to re-install the MRB you can boot from a windows revocery disk and choose to repair your MBR from the Repair section.
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    I

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    Above command will *wipe* your Hard disk (all partitions and GRUB).
    I dont understand this part , why do we need to null the MBR section manually when the OS installation will handle this work automatically??
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

After Linux installation, Windows Installation CD doesn't work in a few machines. Its a GRUB/BIOS compatibility problem. In that case, its necessary to wipe MBR for Windows OS installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    If you have the RAM you might like to try installing Windows INSIDE Linux using Virtual Box. That would keep any Windows ill-behavoir under your thumb (and click).