Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I want to check the RAM bandwidth & IO/s(Input & Output Transfer rate) while running application. Is there any command to check in shell ? For checking DISK ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RAM bandwidth and IO/s

Hi All,

I want to check the RAM bandwidth & IO/s(Input & Output Transfer rate) while running application.

Is there any command to check in shell ?

For checking DISK bandwidth & IO/s we have iostat command.

Please specify how to check for RAM.

Thanks in advance.

top commands reveals the about of memory consumed after each second. You may install htop as an external package which shows it every sec. Hope this helps
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    For memory info, try vmstat. However, it doesn't show for specific processes. For info on specific processes, use top or htop.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    top and vmstat gives the memory usage for process, but i want bandwidth and Transfer rate of RAM which will tell the speed at which RAM operates while running any application .

try htop it shows the total memory usage.

Just Joined!
    apart from showing graphical representation for memory,cpu and swap i haven't find any column for bandwidth(MB/s) or Transfer rate(IO/s) in htop.

For checking bandwidth and Transfer rate(IO/s) for disk, iostat will give clear picture.

i just want to know is there any command for checking the same thing for ram ?

I dont know about command but there is a file in /proc which contains all information about memory.
    Code:
    cat /proc/meminfo

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm not aware of any tools that show bandwidth. You would need to write your own tool to do that, keeping in mind that you need to code it so as to avoid cache usage as well as triggering the paging system as either will skew such benchmarks quite significantly. There may be ways of disabling the on-chip (level 1) cache via a processor instruction, and off-chip (level 2) cache via some bios or in/out port instruction, and there are ways to pin specific user-space memory ranges into RAM and not swap them to disc, but since I haven't had the need to do that on Linux systems I am not sure how you would do that, off hand.

In any case, this is not simple code to write, though you might find some FOSS benchmarks that do this - remember that Google is your friend!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!