Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there an adobe available for 64bit Linux machines? I am just starting on Linux, so please assume I know nothing when responding....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

64bit Adobe?

Is there an adobe available for 64bit Linux machines?

I am just starting on Linux, so please assume I know nothing when responding.

I assume you mean the adobe flash player? The answer is yes.

What distribution of linux are you using? Most distros have it available through their repositories or through a trusted 3rd party software repo.

Just Joined!
    Well mainly i need a pdf reader that I can install a 'Fileopen' plugin for. The machine currently uses 'evince' to view pdfs, but I believe that adobe is the only reader with the 'Fileopen' plugin.

Also, I was under the assumption that flash was also a plugin. So don't I need adobe first?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Adobe is a company, which makes a number of different products, such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Air, etc.

The pdf plugin is called acroread.

Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Unix

Acroread

Oh, forgot, I don't think there is a 64 bit version of acroread. You can still install it on a 64 bit system, but you'll need to install all 32 bit libraries for it. If you install it through your distros package manager, these should be automatically pulled in for the install.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help yesterday. I now have flash.

As for acrobat, I am using Centos 5, and have no idea how to install through a package manager.

Unless you have a compelling reason to use CentOS or other Enterprise-oriented distribution, my personal opinion is that you should consider looking at some of the more desktop oriented distros like Ubuntu.

PackageManagement/Yum - CentOS Wiki

CentOS 5 Administration - Chapter*11.*Package Management Tool

Just Joined!
    I'm pretty much stuck with CentOS (not my personal computer).

I installed acrobat 9 from the package manager (I also see that I could have gotten the Flash10 from this)

According to the fileopen webpage I should be able to use Acrobat 9, or earlier
    fileopen.com/fileopen_pdf_control.php

However, when I downloaded the plugin, it only contains '.api' folders for 7 and 8. Would the plugin for 8 work for 9? (I'm not sure how dumb of a question that is)

I really have no idea; I've never used acroread. I would say run the installer and see if it returns an error.

It looks like the installer is a shell script, so to run open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sh /path/to/installer/commandline_installer.sh
    Replace the /path/to/installer bit with the actual path to the installer.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The Adobe reader (acroread) is a 32-bit application, which runs just fine on CentOS - I use it all the time. Yum will determine if you need to install any additional libraries and do so automatically. FWIW, 32-bit applications run on 64-bit linux distributions without any issue, though 64-bit apps won't run on a 32-bit OS (duh!). My system is a 64-bit CentOS 5.3 with latest updates. I have been using acroread on this system for well over a year.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!