Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a problem upgrading the drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card. Having downloaded the latest version of the ATI Catalyst 9.7 Proprietary Linux x86 Display ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Removing old ATI Catalyst Display driver

Hi,

I have a problem upgrading the drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card. Having downloaded the latest version of the ATI Catalyst 9.7 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver (ati-driver-installer-9-7-x86.x86_64.run), I am unable to proceed because I cannot figure out how to remove, as recommended in the installer instructions, the older version of this driver. The installer instructions provide only the following method:

1 Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the /usr/share/ati
    folder
    2 With superuser permissions, enter the command "sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh"

Upon doing this, however, the response in terminal is simply this: "sh: Can't open ./fglrx-uninstall.sh". Since AMD provides no other instructions, and since their support service explicitly tells me that they do not provide support for Linux users, I am now at a loss.

So does anyone know how I can remove my old driver? If it cannot be done using the uninstall script, perhaps I can do it manually?

Thank you for your time.

What distribution are you using?

Did you install fglrx with your package manager before, or manually? If the former, you should also uninstall it via your package manager.

sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh is pointing to a file in the directory you are currently in. The sh says, this is a shell script, even though the file isn't marked as executable, run it. ./ tells the shell not to look in $PATH for the executable, but look right where you are. And then the rest is just the name of the file, ie, fglrx-uninstall.sh.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your quick response! It was certainly of great help to me, and I feel rather sheepish right now. I have previously downloaded drivers from ATI and installed them manually, but after my recent upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 I did indeed opt to let Ubuntu install these drivers for me. Solving my problem was as simple as clicking on [System] --> [Administration] --> [Hardware Drivers] and ticking a box for removing my proprietary graphics driver. It really doesn't get much more obvious than that. But without you asking the obvious question about how I originally installed my driver, I probably wouldn't have found this solution for quite some time still.

So thanks again

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close