Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to download a large file from my server to my Windows XP Pro machine using Putty instead of ftp. I tried: scp filename-to-download c:\temp but it says: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help using scp with putty

I am trying to download a large file from my server to my Windows XP Pro machine using Putty instead of ftp.

I tried:
    scp filename-to-download c:\temp

but it says:
    c: Name or service not known

Anybody know how I can set this up and get it working?
    Thanks

It should look something like
    Code:
    scp jsherk@servername:/home/jsherk/filename-to-download C:\temp\
    You should then be prompted for your password. If you're running on a port other than port 22 make sure to include that with the P switch.

As an alternative you can use Filezilla or WinSCP to do it graphically. By the way, just to help you with your searching Putty is only a Windows client name, the service itself is ssh and/or sftp.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply...

Even I use your format above, and after it asks me for a password, I still get the same error that says:
    C: Name or service not recognized

so I am assuming the problem has something to with it not being able to recognize that C: is on my windows machine.

I usually use FileZilla, but for large files I noticed that when I use Putty (ssh) it uploads them quite a bit faster, so I was wanting to try the same thing for downloads and see if it made a difference.

Linux Newbie
    If you're using Putty then the command should be pscp not scp. I tried it on my Windows XP and it works:

Code:
    "c:\program files\putty\pscp" user@host:/tmp/a.a  e:\downloads\
    I've read the WinSCP is a good option if you can't get Putty to work.

Just Joined!
    Thanks lomcevak...

I tried your command from within PuTTY but it did not recognize the pscp command. But then I had a brain storm and if I run your command from the command line it works perfect, so I am making a batch file to automate the file retrieval.

Thanks