Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using Putty to connect to solaris server's at work. I have been using VNC / Citrix all along and the "Putty" experience is new to me. Can someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tweaking Putty

Hi,

I'm using Putty to connect to solaris server's at work. I have been using VNC / Citrix all along and the "Putty" experience is new to me.

Can someone give me a few tips / tweaks on fixing the following in my Putty session :

1. The Backspace key when pressed, outputs the ^H / ^? character. How do i change this to move the cursor one space back when " backspace " is pressed ?

2. When working with other remote connection clients, pressing the "UP" arrow takes you to previous commands ? how do I enable this on PUTTY ?

3. How do I get the Home and End keys to work as normal ? Currently, the cursor either stays still or changes the letters between upper and lower, when these keys are pressed.

Any assistance is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Linux Guru
    These aren't Putty problems as far as I'm aware, older Unix systems behave differently and Solaris has continued with a lot of these conventions. It's normal for Solaris to output ^H for backspace as it doesn't use backspace - you should use the Delete key. Similarly the command history is a function of Bash and I suspect you are using ksh or bash is not configured for this behaviour. Either way it is configured on the Solaris server side, not within Putty.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot. I just figured out I was using Korn. Changed to bash and its all good now.

One Problem though, I have a tough time editing with vi.

The up, down arrow keys dont seem to work as normal ?

Any ideas ?

thanks

Linux Guru
    Have you checked your keymap? Do those keys function correctly outside of vi?

Just Joined!
    Yes, they do.

For instance, the UP key in the shell takes me to the previous commands..