Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Although not excluded, I doubt that something is wrong with my hardware.

The disk geometry got screwed when I was resizing partitions with PartitionMagic. So I tried changing the geometry using TestDisk geometry feature, and that messed up the CHS values.

I believe that Gparted and PartitionMagic are not agreeing on some partitioning standards!

Still, I believe that the disk will be fine after the low-level format.
    Fedora25.GNOME@Dell_Latitude_E7440
    Fedora24.MATE@HP_Compaq_DC7100

Linux User
    TestDisk geometry feature
    I have no idea just what that feature does (maybe change values in the bios ?) so you may very will be correct.
    I believe that Gparted and PartitionMagic are not agreeing on some partitioning standards!
    That I can believe. I have had Partition Magic make changes in the MBR/VBR that was not correct.

Backup of data is always a good start

... after that run grub find command
    Code:
    find /boot/vmlinuz
    find /vmlinuz
    does grub find the kernel ?

Ed: I have not used Parted Magic since it trashed a drive for me . Check for kernel image using grub and live CD ...
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 09-03-2009 at 08:45 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I found that the correct kernel is "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.29-0.1-default"
    The correct GRUB input is then:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.29-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_FUJITSU_MHV2040_NT30T5C2AWCT-part3 splash=silent
    Although Linux found many issues with /dev/hda3 FS it started properly. However, I don't trust it any more so I'm going to reinstall everything.

I'm also going to check my hardware to make sure that nothing else is wrong.

Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostfarmer View Post
    As for the 'testdisk' errors. the basic hdd information reported by testdisk ran from Windows and linux having wrong CHS values indicates a problem that needs to be corrected but a format will not help and hdd should not be used till corrected.
    1) Check in the bios and see if it reports hdd correctly. 2) Can try clearing the bios, replace the data cable.
    3) Try a different motherboard IDE connector and rerun 'testdisk'.
    4)Put the hdd in different comp (do not boot with it) and run testdisk, if it is then correct , you have a bad motherboard , likely just the one IDE channel, could be data cable (items 2 &3)
    5)download and run test program from hdd manufacture.

I had that error and my motherboard IDE channel was going bad.

You could try saving the data but it might be corrupted, the basic CHS values are used by the bios to find the requested sectors to read and if incorrect the wrong sectors likely will be read. (note: my understanding and could be wrong)
    Lostfarmer@ you were right. It is a hardware problem.
    After I replaced the HDD, testdisk still shows the same CHS warning.

The real bad news is that this is the notebook computer. There are no IDE cables to replace, and there are no other IDE connectors available.

PS. I apologize for wrongfully blaming Partition Magic to cause this problem.

Linux User
    I know not a thing about notebooks, can you reset the BIOS ? If so do it, that could fix error.

After the BIOS reset something is changed, but it is not perfect yet.

Testdisk does not show any of the old warnings:
    Code:
    Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 240 (NTFS) != 16 (HD)
    Warning: Bad ending/starting head (CHS and LBA don't match)
    However a new warning appears:
    Code:
    Warning: The current number of heads per cylinder is 240 but the correct value may be 16.

Linux User
    Reading 'testdisk' web sit, they indicate the program must guess the CHS values and sometimes it is wrong. That is way they have the geometry feature to change the way testdisk will see the disk. They do not say at all that the disk may be bad only they are in error when it guesses.

If the error comes after hdd detection, but dueing looking at the partitions it could be the CHS value in the partition table is wrong. Partition Magic will also check the values. The CHS addressing is normally not use , only the LBA addressing mode is used.

You may not have any problem , only a 'testdisk' problem. If linux/XP can read/write to all partition with no problems then would say all is OK.

Does Partition Magic indicate any errors ?
    Does both hdd's show 'testdisk' error ?
    Can you connect hdd 'external adapter' to a different comp and run testdisk ?
    Can you boot into hdd installed linux ?

So far I didn't experience any read/write errors with the HDD.
    I can boot normally. Both OS's, Linux and Windows, operate normally.
    Partition Magic does not give any warnings/errors.
    Gparted also does not give any warnings/errors.
    Powermax does not report any issues (all tests passed).

Testdisk is the only software that reports this issue (on both HDD's).
    Moreover, testdisk diagnosis is not consistent. There is some OS dependency observed.
    In Linux testdisk reports:
    Code:
    Warning: The current number of heads per cylinder is 240 but the correct value may be 255.
    In DOS and Windows testdisk reports:
    Code:
    Warning: The current number of heads per cylinder is 240 but the correct value may be 16.
    It seams as testdisk is indeed guessing. As you explained:
    Reading 'testdisk' web sit, they indicate the program must guess the CHS values and sometimes it is wrong. That is way they have the geometry feature to change the way testdisk will see the disk. They do not say at all that the disk may be bad only they are in error when it guesses.
    I'm starting to become convinced that, after all, nothing is wrong with my hardware.