Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Hope someone can help me with the following. I try to build a home media system (just for watching movies, slideshows and photos , listening music and browsing the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

password popup for locked directories?

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with the following.
    I try to build a home media system (just for watching movies, slideshows and photos , listening music and browsing the internet). Herefore I installed Linux Mint 7 and installed Freevo into it. Most of the content will reside on a large partition on the harddisk locally.

Since my kids will be using it as much as I do myself, I set the thing up so it logs in on a default user and starts Freevo right away (well.... the autologin works, the start of freevo needs to be done yet).

Now I would like both movies for them as well as movies for us to be on the disk. But since they are quite young yet, I do not want them to be able to start our movies without us knowing.

So What I would like to know is the following: Is it possible to password protect a directory structure in a way that when you try to access it, a password dialog pops up? Default behaviour in Linux afaik is that access is just denied.

But I would like to have the behaviour you get like when starting synaptic or so. Then your password is asked as well.

Hope the question is clear enough, of not, feel free to ask clarification.

Thnx IA

This might help you:
    Tom Morton's beloved Website!

Ubuntu package for cryptkeeper:
    Ubuntu -- Package Search Results -- cryptkeeper

I've never used it, though.

Just Joined!
    Thnx for the reply.
    Found a solution though.
    Freevo has a (albeit very weak) option to add a password to a directory. It's weak and very easiliy can be avoided, but for my homesituation it's enough for now.

The info is at the bottom of the following site: doc.freevo.org/BasicConfig

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close