Hey.

Recently got a little too much time on my hands, and decided to start messing around with my WPA connection, seeing what exactly the differences in cracking times between different password lengths and the such.

Now I've used Linux in the past (Ubuntu) before I had to switch back to Windows for direct X support (/sadpanda). I know generally how to use the Linux operating machine, however this is the first time I've come across a 'linux emulator' such as VMplayer, which is quite cool if I can use the awesome of Linux and still have a proper Direct X OS to work on. (Windows Emulators never really worked)

I've downloaded the VMimage of Backtrack 3, running it on Windows XP home edition with a Belkin F5D7050E USB for a connection. (Yes I know, every time Belkin makes a router a kitten dies, but just pulling things together.)

Now when everything didn't work out of the box, I do the usual research and find that the rtl8180 drivers it requires aren't automatically installed. Generally this wouldn't be a problem since I know how to install, wget etc etc.

However, the F5D7050E is the only router I own at the moment, and is the router I use to normally connect to my internet supply. However, I need the correct drivers to get this to connect the Linux box to the internet, and to download the correct drivers I need to be able to connect to the internet, which I need the correct drivers for. An evil circle.

Now I could go buy another router, but I'm not going to for 2 reasons.

A: Well it should work. And if it isn't working then it will just annoy me, no matter how easily another router might work. I'm the kind of person who will do certain computer related stuff not because it's useful, but because I can

B: I'm only messing around, meaning spending cash is just a waste.

So my question is, after my long introduction, is there a way to download the file in windows, then point VMplayer to the correct file and install it onto the VMplayer virtual machine?