Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello I am a relatively newbie to the Postfix system...So I have some questions First, I want to leave my mail on my mail server sort of like Exchange, ( ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up a Postfix mail server...

Hello I am a relatively newbie to the Postfix system...So I have some questions First, I want to leave my mail on my mail server sort of like Exchange, ( I think I need IMAP) Second, I saw where someone had a mail server but their email was stored on another server on the internet, until they downloaded it ( they were using dial up, as am I... (no DSL or cable in my area...) Any help would be much, much appreciated...

thanks,

evan hazlett

Linux Guru
    Yes, you need IMAP. Those issues aren't related to Postfix, which is mainly an MTA.
    That other thing you were referring to seems to be the purpose of fetchmail. Check it out. Still has nothing to do with Postfix, except that you can configure it to deliver the mail through postfix.

Just Joined!
    So in order to use IMAP, I will need to get Postfix configured, then install something like Courier-IMAP, as well as configure fetchmail? Is that sound right...?? Then I should be able to have IMAP with Courier and send with Postfix... Sorry I am such a newbie... Thanks...

evan hazlett

Linux Guru
    IMAP and Postfix really don't have anything with each other to do. Postfix sends, receives and forwards mails, while an IMAP server lets clients the mailbox files.
    Fetchmail and Postfix aren't really related either. Fetchmail accesses a remote post office server using IMAP or POP3, and delivers the mails found there to the local machine as if they were received by Postfix (or sendmail or qmail or any other MTA).
    Fetchmail can also be configured to deliver the mails it gets via Postfix, but I think it just uses procmail directly by default.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info, it makes more sense now... I was lost (still am a little ) I am so used to MS EXchange Server due to where I work, but desparately want to go all Linux, and the mail server is a big step

Thanks for all your info, and I am sure I will be talking to you again...

evan hazlett

p.s. Dolda, may I ask what distro you run....

Linux Guru
    I'm running RedHat exclusively. I've been wanting to switch to LFS or Gentoo for quite a while, but I never find to motivation to redo my entire system. There is a whole lot that I've changed as time has passed by, and doing it all again isn't all that appealing.

Just Joined!
    I now have Postfix working, at least internally, that is all I am concerned with right now...
    I can send mail, and receive mail by using SMTP and POP3...However, I want to use IMAP. I set the xinetd service IMAP to active but it keeps wanting a password, and when I enter my normal password, it fails...

any ideas...

evan hazlett

Linux Guru
    What IMAP server are you using (could you post an URL)?
    One possible cause might be that PAM isn't correctly configured for it.

Just Joined!
    I am using the University of Washington's IMAP Toolkit. Unfortunately, I do not see much info as far as configuring it, although I havent dug too much...(I am building a new machine at the same time... But there isnt much in /usr/share/doc/imap
    a readme, and copyright and things....

by the way, thanks Dolda for all your help, you demonstrate the exact kind of people who keep Linux going by helping those in need... thanks

evan hazlett

Linux Guru
    Check /etc/pam.d if you have a file called imap in there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast