Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, if someone would move it I don't mind. Just want help. My computers been dual booting Vista and Ubuntu for quite awhile ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] GRUB Error 17, cant even boot from disk.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, if someone would move it I don't mind. Just want help.

My computers been dual booting Vista and Ubuntu for quite awhile now and the only problem I've had is that on Vista, I needed more HDD space, so I deleted the Ubuntu partition. Well, after I did that and tried to get on later, GRUB wouldn't load. I've looked around the internet, and even tried to bring up Ubuntu through the install disk, but for some reason when I hit "try ubuntu with out installing" to get to the partition list, it says "Error reading boot CD." and has me reboot taking me right back where I started.

I'm really not sure why it won't load from the disk. I've even remade 3 more disks thinking maybe something was wrong with the disk. Can anyone help me?

Hi and Welcome !

You have to re-install Vista Boot Loader only.
    First of all, set DVD/CD drive as First Boot Device in BIOS. Follow instructions from here to re-install Vista Boot Loader.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    It is set to load the CD/DVD drive first. What do I do if I don't have the Vista disk? Is there any way to make/buy one?

Edit: Just looked around the web (thanks google) found a CD, did everything you told me and it worked. Thank you very much sir, I hope good deeds go your way.