Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here is my situation. I have a few computer located all over the house. Files are saved all over these computers. I would like to have one specific location for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dumb terminals connecting to Linux server

Here is my situation. I have a few computer located all over the house. Files are saved all over these computers. I would like to have one specific location for all media, as well as not having to periodically upgrade all these computers. I am thinking if I have one server, if need be I just upgrade that one as opposed to all computers.

I was thinking of using dumb terminals loging in to a Linux server. This is where my knowledge ends. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Build yourself a linux file server. Then run NFS (also samba if windows systems will require access to this server) so you are able to mount the shared files onto he other systems. Now you can share the centrally located files.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply. What I was more interested in is to have dummy terminals connecting to this "server". I think what I am looking for is an X client machine. I'd rather have no disks on these dummy terminals, all applications and everything would be on the server itself. Myabe that makes more sense. I am however looking into what this "XDM" really is, seems like it is what i'm looking for.

Linux Guru
    I think you are looking for "thin clients" connecting to a terminal server-type host.

Edubuntu has the Linux Terminal Server Project (ltsp) built in with a simple config.

Just Joined!
    Thank you HROAdmin26. That is exactly what I am looking for.