Find the answer to your Linux question:
So the "what distro is best for me" has been done to death, I'm sure... but I have a somewhat different wrinkle. I was recovering an XP machine for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Choosing a distro... yet again!

So the "what distro is best for me" has been done to death, I'm sure... but I have a somewhat different wrinkle.

I was recovering an XP machine for a friend - it had been stolen and when they got it back they found that "it has a password on it now!" Well, actually, it had been flattened and reloaded with an illegal copy of XP. So I figured this was a great opportunity to introduce them to Linux.

I soon found that the machine is too feeble to run the noob-friendly distros I'd usually plop down on it. Xubuntu is too heavy for it. Puppy rocks like a maniac on it, but it's not really noob-friendly. I just know they'd open a menu and be completely turned off by what they saw there, recycle the machine and buy a new Vista box.

So there's the thing: I need a grandma-friendly distro that can run on older hardware, in this case a Sony Vaio P4. I have yet to see such a thing. Puppy comes really close. I suppose I could install Puppy and rework a ton-o-stuff in the menu to make it simple & obvious, but I sorta hate to do that...

(as an aside, Puppy screams on this thing. It has a "Designed for Windows ME" sticker on it but I seriously doubt any version of Windows EVER ran that fast on a P4.)

oz
    forum.guy
    Zenwalk might work well on it:

www.zenwalk.org - Ever tried zen computing?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Dang! I've never even heard of Zenwalk.

I'll sure as heck try that!

Thanx...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    It's based on Slackware and is usually very stable.

I used to run it and liked it a lot.
    oz

Just Joined!
    The screen prints are very pretty and clean.

I'm downloading & burning a CD now....

Just Joined!
    Damn... that wouldn't fly either.

That's a damn shame, cos' I really liked Zenwalk when I tried it on one of my own boxes. A very crisp distro.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can find some other lightweights mentioned here, but Puppy and Damn Small are probably the lightest:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2009-a.html

...for something lighter, you can take a look here:

Mini Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Slax might work.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ephonk View Post
    So the "what distro is best for me" has been done to death, I'm sure... but I have a somewhat different wrinkle.

I was recovering an XP machine for a friend - it had been stolen and when they got it back they found that "it has a password on it now!" Well, actually, it had been flattened and reloaded with an illegal copy of XP. So I figured this was a great opportunity to introduce them to Linux.

I soon found that the machine is too feeble to run the noob-friendly distros I'd usually plop down on it. Xubuntu is too heavy for it. Puppy rocks like a maniac on it, but it's not really noob-friendly. I just know they'd open a menu and be completely turned off by what they saw there, recycle the machine and buy a new Vista box.

So there's the thing: I need a grandma-friendly distro that can run on older hardware, in this case a Sony Vaio P4. I have yet to see such a thing. Puppy comes really close. I suppose I could install Puppy and rework a ton-o-stuff in the menu to make it simple & obvious, but I sorta hate to do that...

(as an aside, Puppy screams on this thing. It has a "Designed for Windows ME" sticker on it but I seriously doubt any version of Windows EVER ran that fast on a P4.)
    It's hard for me to suggest something different than Puppy (I started with it and still it is my great love)
    Did you try Knoppix - I had good expirences with it.
    Also openmamba and SAM

They are all liveCDs so you can try them out before installing

If you start out with something like a debian net install you can install just the things you want and keep things pretty lightweight. I have installed ubuntu on machine with 64m memory with no problem (server install cd, install X11 and fvwm-crystal WM), though I haven't read what your mem specs are. Arch net install will allow you to create a pretty light distro, I am running gnome on my laptop with a torrent client, firefox, pidgin, thunderbird open and its < 256m memory, so I imagine if you install something lighter it would be even better.