Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, We're planning to build our own USB Linux that fits the requirements of our school (IT) during a project the next half year. Although I was able to gather ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian based USB Linux for School

Hello,

We're planning to build our own USB Linux that fits the requirements of our school (IT) during a project the next half year.
    Although I was able to gather some expirience in using GNU/Linux since I've been using it (~ 1 year, switched from Ubuntu to Arch Linux some time ago) , there are some things I need to know for our project.

The idea is, to build a system on a 1GB USB Stick that includes all the programs the students need during the education on our school (Programming Tools, Apache, MySQL, OO, project management software ... )

We consider to use Ubuntu or Debian Lenny for our system, is there any other Debian derivate (except from DSL) that could be better for our system?

How can we include software in our USB image? ( would running the usb image in a vm , then installing software and copying the image on the stick afterwards work?)

Which major problems could we face when building the system?

(Please excuse my bad english)

lg isofx

Just Joined!
    As far as Debian based distro's Linux Mint is another one(last i heard). I don't know how well it supports USB use especially with such low space. Why not use a bigger USB drive? Even a 2 gig would be a much better choice and there not all that expensive.

Just Joined!
    Why not DSL? There's Puppy, Feather, Arch, Tiny Core etc.

You might want to check out AntiX 8.2 base install also. Debian Lenny, Squeeze, or Sid unstable available depending on how you wish to set it up. It is very configurable with lots of custom scripts available also. Good Luck with project whichever distro you choose to use.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by isofx View Post
    Hello,

We're planning to build our own USB Linux that fits the requirements of our school (IT) during a project the next half year.
    Although I was able to gather some expirience in using GNU/Linux since I've been using it (~ 1 year, switched from Ubuntu to Arch Linux some time ago) , there are some things I need to know for our project.

The idea is, to build a system on a 1GB USB Stick that includes all the programs the students need during the education on our school (Programming Tools, Apache, MySQL, OO, project management software ... )

We consider to use Ubuntu or Debian Lenny for our system, is there any other Debian derivate (except from DSL) that could be better for our system?

How can we include software in our USB image? ( would running the usb image in a vm , then installing software and copying the image on the stick afterwards work?)

Which major problems could we face when building the system?

(Please excuse my bad english)

lg isofx
    Hallo, I don't know where you come from but there does exist a project very similar to yours in Austria (at the school in Krems) it is called LinuxAdvanced.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to contact them for their expirence.