Find the answer to your Linux question:
So lately my hard drive has been giving me some problems. Nothing major, but I'd like to replace it before it becomes worse. I plan on upgrading from a 200GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Filesystem Backup?

So lately my hard drive has been giving me some problems. Nothing major, but I'd like to replace it before it becomes worse. I plan on upgrading from a 200GB WD drive to a 500GB Samsung drive (the new F3 series to be exact). I would ideally like to be able to ghost my current distribution install onto the new drive and not have to deal with any configuration or updates.

I seem to have found software should allow me to do so, fsarchiver, but I'm not one hundred percent sure if this is what I should be using. I run ext4, so that eliminates a couple options that I found while doing some research. fsarchiver seems to fit all my requirements, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a better solution (or conformation that this is my best option).

Linux Newbie
    Hi a12ctic
    I hav downloaded a CD Version of Clonezilla (from distrowatch.com) and using it as a bootable media which allows me to Backup Partitions and/or Hard Drives and restore them as required. Used to use Acronis but it will not backup ext3/4 partitions) and they have gone commercial which I do not use. I am not familiar with 'fsarchiver'. I like to back up partitions and hard drives while they are not mounted, hence the Bootable CD. Hope this helps. Cheers...
    Robert

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
    I seem to have found software should allow me to do so, fsarchiver, but I'm not one hundred percent sure if this is what I should be using. I run ext4, so that eliminates a couple options that I found while doing some research. fsarchiver seems to fit all my requirements, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a better solution (or conformation that this is my best option).
    I have dual-boot Windows XP (NTFS) and Karmic (ext4).

I clone the system partitions for both OSs using fsarchiver on the SystemRescueCD. I've used fsarchiver several times with no problems.

Here's a link that compares fsarchiver with partimage:
    Fsarchiver vs partimage - FSArchiver

BTW: I use rsync for data files, because it's incremental, and I like to be able to access individual files.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close