Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have read some articles that state the Dvorak keyboard as superior to the querty. Does any know about these two layouts and if there is any advantage of Dvorak ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Is Dvorak keyboard better?

I have read some articles that state the Dvorak keyboard as superior to the querty.
    Does any know about these two layouts and if there is any advantage of
    Dvorak over Querty, or is this just marketing?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    If it were truly better, I'd think that's what we'd all be using. Short of any proof that any certain keyboard layout is better for everyone, my guess is that it is better for some people, and not for others. You'd probably have to try it yourself to determine if it's better for you.

I've been curious about the Colemak keyboard layout, but probably never will get around to trying it:

Colemak keyboard layout: ergonomic, fast and easy to learn QWERTY/Dvorak alternative

If you try the Dvorak, do let us know how it goes.
    oz

There are also articles that refute dvorak as being superior. I have some qualms with switching myself, that being if I was the only person using it at my work, every time I went to another machine I would have to switch back, and no one else could use my machine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    If it were truly better, I'd think that's what we'd all be using.
    That's a rather optimistic viewpoint, don't you think? I mean, how many people use Internet Explorer?

Evaluating an alternate keyboard layout seems like a real challenge to me - you'd basically have to relearn how to type (and type well) in order to give it a fair evaluation... And then how do you define "better"?

oz
    forum.guy

better, best, superior, whatever

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin View Post
    That's a rather optimistic viewpoint, don't you think? I mean, how many people use Internet Explorer?
    Right, but that's just it... we aren't all using Internet Explorer, or any other browser because there is no best browser for everyone, either. I'm betting that plenty of people think IE is the best browser, and perhaps it is for that group of people. Then on the other hand, the best for any one person can change at a given point in time, according to their own likes and dislikes at that particular time.

I'm always leery of any "what is the better/best whatever" question for that reason. Of course, it's different if they should ask, "what do you like the best?"
    oz