Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I want to make a music player based on Linux. Playing audio is all it'll ever do, tho obviously i will want a screen. As a result I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

smallest, fastest, minimalist-est distro?

Hi there, I want to make a music player based on Linux. Playing audio is all it'll ever do, tho obviously i will want a screen. As a result I'm looking for a distro that boots extremely fast, can use touch, and has decent ALSA compatibility. Disk space, system specs etc will be fairly good, all that's necessary is that it boots like lightning and can do everything i need it to with audio. Touchscreen is a bonus. Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    You will have to install a music player and touchscreen yourself but you could start out with

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can find some mini linux distros here:

Mini Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never chosen a distro just for audio, so can't really recommend any certain distribution. Let us know what you go with and how it works out for you.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

For audio

For multimedia you could have a look at DYNE:BOLIC.

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone! I'll try Damn Small for now. Let you know how I get on

Just Joined!
    Just thought - I'd like to use four drive RAID 10, what's my best option? I'd like to just use software RAID for cost reasons but will that be possible on a minimalist distro? and what's low-cost RAID-card support like on these distros?
    Cheers

Just Joined!
    If you're using Damn Small Linux, I'd recommend the 3.3 distro instead of 4.1. I mess around with audio stuff quite a bit, and the 4.1 version is bundled without MC (Midnight Commander) - an EXTREMELY valuable file manager. 4.1 is also a bit laggy on older machines, from my experience. (I use Audacity quite a bit, and get a bit of stuttering on an old 486dx2 - not much of a complaint, I know...) Anyway, once I was accustomed to DSL, I downgraded (!!!) to an ancient tiny distro - Basic Linux 3.5, placed it on a seperate partition, and then tailored it to the audio apps I wanted on there - from my DSL partition. That was a lot of fun and frustration, especially with the lib dependencies, but I have Audacity running in it lightning-fast. I'm using this as a template for a new distro.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by withnail View Post
    Hi there, I want to make a music player based on Linux. Playing audio is all it'll ever do, tho obviously i will want a screen. As a result I'm looking for a distro that boots extremely fast, can use touch, and has decent ALSA compatibility. Disk space, system specs etc will be fairly good, all that's necessary is that it boots like lightning and can do everything i need it to with audio. Touchscreen is a bonus. Any ideas?
    I'll add a bit to what I just wrote. At the Basic Linux homepage - which I cannot post the URL to here because I have not posted enough comments yet! - click on the Add-on's link. Note the mpg123.tgz file. This is probably the smallest music player configuration you will find.

Hope that helps!