Find the answer to your Linux question:
My church has started broadcasting over the internet using Ustream. I would like some suggestions for setting up an old (pentium 3) computer that we can dedicate to this purpose. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for Ustream

My church has started broadcasting over the internet using Ustream. I would like some suggestions for setting up an old (pentium 3) computer that we can dedicate to this purpose. Any suggestions for for a minimalist linux OS that we could devote to this. Do not need anything else as far as I know, just need to have wired connectivity the the church's network and a browser.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Any distribution that isn't too heavy for your hardware should work. I see that you have a Pentium 3, but what are the other specs?

You can find some distro recommendations for lower spec hardware here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2009-a.html
    oz

Just Joined!

P3

It is a pentium 3 500 with 384 mb ram

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Just to give you some idea about hardware requirements, OpenSUSE is one of the heaviest distributions out there and the system requirements for it can be found here:

openSUSE 11.1: Hardware Requirements

As you can see, your system meets them, so you should be good to go. That said, some of the heavier distros might not be quite as snappy in performance as you'd like for them to be. Mint Linux might work well for you, but any of the top 5 distros at DistroWatch.com would probably serve your needs.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the recommendations, Ozar. I will be testing some of them in the next few days.