Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can't view /media/cdrom as a normal user. if I cd into as a super user, i can view it. If i launch a nautilus window as a super user, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Content Team

Ubuntu 9.04 64bit wont let me access CDROM

I can't view /media/cdrom as a normal user. if I cd into as a super user, i can view it. If i launch a nautilus window as a super user, I can view it.

As a normal user it is empty. If i try to access it from "computer://" then i get a "cannot mount file"

The cd is a data DVD I burnt on Windows Vista last year. It reads fine on a Windows machine, and I can view the files as a super user, but I cant do anything with the files.

I tried to copy them to the desktop and got a "you do not have permission". I cannot change the permissions through the "properties" window because it is "read only" (according to the error).

I am a member of CDROM
    Code:
    phun@desktop:~$ id
    uid=1000(phun) gid=1000(phun) groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),46(plugdev),109(lpadmin),117(admin),122(sambashare),1000(phun)
    I am pretty sure Vista put some file permissions on it and all my other data files. I can use other cd's made with Ubuntu just fine, but the ones made with vista, have permissions troubles.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, you are only having this problems with CDs written by Vista? My suggestion is that you copy the entire disc to your hard drive as root, make sure all files and directories are readable by all users, then burn a new ISO9660 disc with that from Linux. Who knows what Vista did to the file/directory permissions on the CD.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Content Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    So, you are only having this problems with CDs written by Vista? My suggestion is that you copy the entire disc to your hard drive as root, make sure all files and directories are readable by all users, then burn a new ISO9660 disc with that from Linux. Who knows what Vista did to the file/directory permissions on the CD.
    so there is no way to just override it? because I have ~17 back up discs made from Vista

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by dracule View Post
    so there is no way to just override it? because I have ~17 back up discs made from Vista
    As root you might be able to temporarily change the file/directory permissions on the mounted CD/DVD. You might also be able to remount the drive with read permission for all users. As for configuring automount to do that for you, I'm not sure. The fact that you don't have this problem with cd/dvd discs you have created with Linux is what makes me think this is a problem generated at the Vista end of the equation. Anybody else out there familiar with this problem and have any suggestions for dracule?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!