Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I have an aunt and uncle that I've been supporting on and off for a few years now. They run XP. And sure enough, once every 4 to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

remote support of family mbrs

Hi everyone.

I have an aunt and uncle that I've been supporting on and off for a few years now. They run XP. And sure enough, once every 4 to 6 months the PC comes back to me for a reload because it's riddled with crap (spyware, trojans, etc.). I'm damn sick and tired of it, so I'm moving them to Linux. Obviously there are issues with this move (user training and whatnot), but my *biggest* concern is being able to support them. I don't want to have to setup anything complicated...it would be nice if there was something like logmein.com, but that allowed more accounts, something with a simple web interface. If it helps, I'm putting them on an Ubuntu-based distro for ease-of-use.

I really don't want their experience to be bad, so I realize I'll need to provide pointers here-and-there, I just don't want to be jumping in the car and running over there each time I have to do it.

Thanks everyone!

Josh

Simple ssh should work. Set it up to use keys instead of passwords and move the listen port to a higher port. You can even forward X over it.

As to the windows issue, like Linux, you have to setup user accounts and not allow them to have Admin rights. This would stop the infection of he machine and no learning required for them on a new system. Should they require something install you could install it for them.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted