Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK this probably something I should know but I've got to ask! I have a copy of a Linux magazine here and in it are various tip for improving your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Silly Question

OK this probably something I should know but I've got to ask!
    I have a copy of a Linux magazine here and in it are various tip for improving your system etc. In particular there's one for making menu's load faster in Gnome.

It tell me to "create a new file in you home directory" and then you place a line in this file. By "new file" does it mean a new document or some other sort of file. I can only see the option to create a new folder or file.

Please someone answer this for me
    Thanks
    Mariane

Just Joined!
    yes, they are telling you to create a new text document. You would use text editors like nano(command line) or gedit to create the "file".

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by highfructose327 View Post
    yes, they are telling you to create a new text document. You would use text editors like nano(command line) or gedit to create the "file".
    OK thanks! What confused me was wondering if a text doc would actually be read by the system. Apparently it will be

Mariane

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by mariane_08 View Post
    OK thanks! What confused me was wondering if a text doc would actually be read by the system. Apparently it will be

Mariane
    Yup, under the hood, pretty much all configuration files in linux are done in plain text.