Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I boot up In Grub2 If It is using grub legacy now ? I have Sabayon 5.0 installed on sda1 (hd0,1) and Parsix 3.0 on sdb1 (hd1,1). Sabayon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub2

How do I boot up In Grub2 If It is using grub legacy now ?

I have Sabayon 5.0 installed on sda1 (hd0,1) and Parsix 3.0 on sdb1 (hd1,1).

Sabayon uses grub legacy and Parsix Grub2. I had Sabayon installed but just recently added Parsix 3.0 and put grub2 on the partition boot sector, not the mbr. Sabayon grub is also installed on the partition.

After I got done installing Parsix my computer still boots up using grub legacy from the Sabayon partition.

Is there a way to to get it to use grub2 from the Parsix partition ? I used to do this with the Grub Super Disk but I guess it does not recognize grub2. I have searched and read many-many doc's and articles on grub2 but have not found anything yet on what I am trying to accomplish.

cheers,
    OBnascar

I don't use grub2 ... does chainloader work?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I don't use grub2 ... does chainloader work?
    My OS's are showing up fine with grub legacy, which I am using now, so I don't need to chainloader. I wanted to try out grub2 but am unable to figure out how to do that. Sooner than we think we all will be using grub2. I do not believe there will be any Linux that will continue to use grub legacy. Although, some were saying all distros would be using Uuids, and I don't believe that has happened yet but it is getting close.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What I meant was can you chainload grub2 from grub legacy and chainload grub legacy from grub 2. If you can then you don't need to install grub2 to the MBR, just chainload it to try it out.

If you want to install grub2 to the MBR then you should have instructions for doing this for the distro ... example Arch here

Like I said in my previous post I have not used grub2 and therefore have not tried to get it to play nice with grub legacy or boot a distro still using grub legacy either ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    If you want to install grub2 to the MBR then you should have instructions for doing this for the distro ... example Arch
    Yes, this is actaully what I am trying to do. But can't I install grub2 to a partition instead of the mbr ?

Sorry for the confussion, but I think we are on the riight track now......lol

thanks Jonathan183,
    OBnascar

Linux Guru
    Your first post indicates you have Saboyan on the first hard drive sda1 and Parsix on the second hard drive sdb1. You have Saboyan Grub on sda so you could put the Parsix Grub in the master boot record of the second drive and set the second drive to boot as first priority. You would need correct entry for Saboyan in the Grub2 config file to boot it.

Also, sda1 is (hd0,0) not (hd0,1) and sdb1 is (hd1,0) not (hd1,1). Maybe that was just a typo on your part?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Also, sda1 is (hd0,0) not (hd0,1) and sdb1 is (hd1,0) not (hd1,1). Maybe that was just a typo on your part?
    I was speaking in the grub2 terms. In grub2 the first partition now is (hd0,1) instead of (hd0,0) as it was in grub legacy. Grub2 starts counting at (1) instead of (0). No big deal, just a slight lack of communication on my part.

Just Joined!
    I was able to use a Grub2 boot loader menu on my computer instead of the grub legacy menu that I was booting up, it was easier than I thought thanks mostly to yancek.

First I booted into the partition that had Grub2 installed, then in a terminal:
    Code:
    # grub-install /dev/sd?

sd? would be the drive where I have grub2 installed. Then the next time I booted up l was seeing the Grub2 boot loader menu instead of the menu from my other Linux distro that was using grub legacy. This is what I was trying to accomplish.

To make all of my other Linux distros show up in my Grub2 boot loader menu, again I booted into the partition where my Grub2 was installed and then entered:
    Code:
    # os-prober
    # update-grub2
    When "update-grub2" is executed, Grub 2 will read /etc/default/grub and the files in contained in the /etc/grub.d folder. This combination will set the visual parameters of the grub menu (/etc/default/grub) and search for linux kernels, other operating systems, and items designated in user-created scripts in /etc/grub.d.

I rebooted and my new Grub2 boot loader menu showed all of my other Linux distros on this computer.