Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently using RedHat 9.0, but I am looking for a more... customizable version of Linux. What is the best Distro?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is the best distrobution of linux?

I am currently using RedHat 9.0, but I am looking for a more... customizable version of Linux. What is the best Distro?

Linux User
    i use slackware, but maybe you should also try debian?

anyhow, good luck

Linux Guru
    I don't think that there's anything that wrong with the customizability of RedHat. Is there anything in particular that you want to accomplish?

Just Joined!
    What you should look at, instead of the distro, is the desktop you are using... i.e. KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, etc. These, I think are what you want. All of these offer extensive manipulation by ways of schemes, etc. I personally prefer KDE because I like the way it flows and organizes things, but that is my opinion.. Enlightenment, is by default, very minimalistic; not much clutter. Once again, it is up to you and your personal preferences what you choose as a start. They all can be customized to oblivion..

evan hazlett

Linux Enthusiast
    almost every distribution is completely customizeable. Worse comes to worse you can download the SRPM and change compile-time options for these packages. What do you want to configure? You can configure any distribution to look/act like any other distribution (give or take). You just have to know how to do so.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    I guess your original question is a bit broad....I have SuSE 8.1 pro and it's my first Linux, after spending many years with Solaris UNIX and before that Windows of course. Stability, robustness, ease of configuration are what ranks high on my list. SuSE, is by far the most complete OS i have ever worked with....I can't believe to this day I have virtually no complaints!!!

Just Joined!

SuSE it is.

Vous,

Thanks for your insight. I have installed SuSE and I like it a lot. The configuration is much easier than that of redhat. I am not sure about a couple of things, though. How do I start and stop services? I cannot seem to use the bash command service.

Thanks to you all for your insight. I understand my question was quite broad and will try to be more precise in the future.

Just Joined!
    For the service command, I have to say that I'm not familiar with it....probably you need to install the package for it???

As for start and stopping, you can use start and stop scripts that come with each application....for example, if you were to start Apache, you would need to: apachectl start; to shutdown: apachectl stop.

(And make sure the locations for this script are in your environment...check that with the "env" command)

Good luck!