Find the answer to your Linux question:
I replaced the hds in my computer a while back. They were linked up as one logical volume, but before I pulled them out I saved isos of each disk. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can I mount a logvol from two isos?

I replaced the hds in my computer a while back. They were linked up as one logical volume, but before I pulled them out I saved isos of each disk.

However, now I need to find some information on them, but I can't figure out how to mount the isos. When I try mount -o loop on either iso, it tells me it can't recognize the file system type.

So I'm guessing that somehow I have to tell mount that they are two parts of one logical volume, but I'm not sure how to do that.

One way or another, is it going to be possible for me to recover the info from these isos?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It depends upon how you made your backups. Please describe the process you used as exactly as you can.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It depends upon how you made your backups. Please describe the process you used as exactly as you can.
    Not knowing any better, I just did a dd of the disks off to some bigger disks I had nfs mounted, and named them sda.iso and sdb.iso.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. So you did a dd with the input parameter as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb? If so, then these are likely valid bit image backups that you can restore to discs which can be mounted with LVM. However, since they were both part of the logical volume, you cannot mount them with "mount -o loop" as you would a standard ISO image because the data is scattered over both discs. At least, I don't know of a way to do what you want...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Ok. So you did a dd with the input parameter as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb? If so, then these are likely valid bit image backups that you can restore to discs which can be mounted with LVM. However, since they were both part of the logical volume, you cannot mount them with "mount -o loop" as you would a standard ISO image because the data is scattered over both discs. At least, I don't know of a way to do what you want...
    OK, thanks. That's what I have been coming to suspect. I need to put them back on physical disks and try to boot up the machine that way.