Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I dont have a scanner here so I took the docs I wanted to scan to the public library and did them there. Of course they were using Windows. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oxf
    Linux Newbie

Any way around "locked" PDF files?

Hi,

I dont have a scanner here so I took the docs I wanted to scan to the public library and did them there. Of course they were using Windows.

I get home and open the files using Acroread in Ubuntu 9.04. They open just fine except I managed to get the orientation of some of them off. So i rotate them. So far so good except when I re-save the file it reverts back to the original. Grrrrr...

I then booted into Windows and tried it there. Same result except this time I get the message that the "document wont permit changes or edits". Well that obviously explains it but I'm wondering if working in Linux there is any way of getting around this restriction? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

acroread doesn't let you create or manipulate pdf's I don't think

Use an open source app like evince, kpdf, openoffice, or even gimp to manipulate PDF documents.

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    acroread doesn't let you create or manipulate pdf's I don't think

Use an open source app like evince, kpdf, openoffice, or even gimp to manipulate PDF documents.
    Well Acroread has the option to "save file". But I've just tried it in Evince and get the same result. I think its to do with the fact that its locked against changes or something.

The specific msg I got trying to save in windows said it "can only be edited with Acrobat Professional"

Mike

So try the other applications then. I know for a fact you can do this with gimp.

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    So try the other applications then. I know for a fact you can do this with gimp.
    Yes I managed to rotate it in gimp. However, I can't seem to save it back into .pdf then. But maybe I missed something!

Yes, it isn't the most intuitive thing. Just rotated it, then go to print, select print to file, and make sure it is PDF format. This should do it!