Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very disappointed with pulseaudio as I am not able to run important applications with it(through wine, which does not support pulse at all). With it's latest release, Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distribution does not use pulseaudio?

I am very disappointed with pulseaudio as I am not able to run important applications with it(through wine, which does not support pulse at all).

With it's latest release, Ubuntu is not longer usable without pulseaudio.
    I understand that Fedora, openSUSE, Manriva and many others have followed the same path.

What major distributions are there that do not use pulse?

I'm looking for something gnome-based with the latest packages of applications like pidgin and firefox.

Any ideas?

I use Gentoo and unless you install it yourself, Pulseaudio is not included...although I'm pretty sure you can remove Pulseaudio from any distro, with a little patience.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Any of the distros that you basically build up yourself don't use it by default. Arch Linux, Gentoo, Slackware, Crux, Debian. Of those Debian is probably the easiest for someone relatively new to linux, but I think the stable release is still using GNOME 2.22. Arch is rolling release, so is always pretty current with the latest stable releases of software in their repos, and they have GNOME 2.28 available.

Also, none of the BSDs use it. I think they use OSS4 instead of ALSA for sound as well.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you both.

Will probably install arch linux ones I have the time to invest in it.

Just Joined!
    I have experienced constant crashes in Ubuntu 9.10 due to pulseaudio in all games I have tried (OpenArena, Wesnoth, etc.). Although not a major distribution, by the weird choice of Canonical Ltd. - who uses different names for varieties of the same distribution built on different window managers - I would suggest Xubuntu. It is based on Ubuntu, it has access to all it's software repositories (so I do consider it as being the same distribution as Ubuntu), but it doesn't use pulseaudio and, by my experience so far, it is stable. The only thing which could be considered a drawback is the window manager it uses, which is XFCE - it isn't so easy to use as Gnome or KDE, but it is faster. Until now I had only 2 problems with it:
    - You cannot change the system time using the menu feature, but only by using the "date" command in a terminal.
    - The networkmanager doesn't start pppoe (dial-up over ethernet) internet connections (RDS romanian service provider).