Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How do you get a Live CD's iso on a usb flash drive? I've tried two methods already and both failed. Linux really sucks for this. I've been suggested two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Live Cd (iso) on usb flash drive?

How do you get a Live CD's iso on a usb flash drive?

I've tried two methods already and both failed. Linux really sucks for this. I've been suggested two other methods and they both involve WINDOWS! Says a lot, doesn't it?!?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    It really depends on the distro. I have used the Linux command line method in this guide to install Fedora.

I've tried two methods already and both failed. Linux really sucks for this. I've been suggested two other methods and they both involve WINDOWS! Says a lot, doesn't it?!?
    What methods were suggested to you? Easiest way is to use unetbootin, which runs on linux or windows. Works great for almost any distro.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    What methods were suggested to you? Easiest way is to use unetbootin, which runs on linux or windows. Works great for almost any distro.
    First time trying Unetbootin didn't work. Second attempt, I did get it to work but when I booted up, there was no wired or wireless support whatsoever. How do I solve that? Can I?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    It really depends on the distro. I have used the Linux command line method in this guide to install Fedora.
    Is that only specific to Fedora, though? I have to give them props though for having a write-up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin2 View Post
    First time trying Unetbootin didn't work. Second attempt, I did get it to work but when I booted up, there was no wired or wireless support whatsoever. How do I solve that? Can I?
    Depends on your wireless and ethernet cards and which distribution you're using. In most cases, yes, you can fix it. Read this: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

Is that only specific to Fedora, though? I have to give them props though for having a write-up for it.
    Everything up to the installation of the liveusb-creator tool is generic. Different distros have different tools to create live USB installs. Ubuntu has a very similar method.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Some distros also distribute an .img file instead of an ISO, or a hybrid-ISO, which can easily be copied to a USB. Mandriva is an example of this.

For those, you can simply plug in the USB drive and do
    Code:
    dd bs=8M if=image.img of=/dev/sd[x]
    Where image.img is the path to the img file and /dev/sd[x] is your USB device name, which you can find with
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    This should not include a number at the end, so if your USB was /dev/sdb and you also saw listings for /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2, etc, you would just use /dev/sdb.

Just Joined!
    My laptop's ethernet and wireless specs:
    (Ethernet Controller) Wired:
    Chipset: Intel PRO/1000 MT Mobile Ethernet
    Driver: e1000
    Intel 82540EP

Wireless:
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Mini-PCI Adapter
    This adapter is supported by the Linux ipw2200 driver.

I included info on the drivers, too, just in case any of that info helps for assessing what I'd have to do.

Thanks for the replies, reed9! I'll read those links and try it. I do like the idea of using a USB flash drive for trying out the Live media. 'Probably makes for a quick install, too, if one decides to install to the system hard drive.

Drivers for both your wired and wireless card have been in the kernel for years and should be supported out of the box with almost any distro.

The wireless might be an issue with some distros because it requires a binary firmware blob. Any distro with strict guidelines on using only open source software might not include it by default, but you can easily download and add it yourself. Debian would be an example of this.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Driver for Linux

You still haven't told us what distro you tried that failed to detect your network cards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Drivers for both your wired and wireless card have been in the kernel for years and should be supported out of the box with almost any distro.

The wireless might be an issue with some distros because it requires a binary firmware blob. Any distro with strict guidelines on using only open source software might not include it by default, but you can easily download and add it yourself. Debian would be an example of this.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Driver for Linux

You still haven't told us what distro you tried that failed to detect your network cards.
    Kubuntu 9.10. I did try Unetbootin initially with Mandriva 2010 but it wouldn't boot. Maybe I did something wrong, though?

So, you're saying the usb drive stick should boot it up as if you're using the CD or DVD but just faster (obviously)?

The live environment shouldn't be any different between a CD/DVD and USB stick.

Your wired and wireless card should be supported by Kubuntu 9.10. KDE4 and Kubuntu have historically had some problems with the knetworkmanager not working, but I've been checking out 9.10 on a computer, and it's working ok for me.

Can you tell us a little more about your network setup, or what's failing? Are you seeing wireless networks? Does the network manager give you an option for ethernet connection and it's failing to get an ip address signed? Where is the problem happening exactly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast