Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Although this question relates to my MP3 player I'm putting it here since its essentially a USB flash. In fact I've used it as such when I've forgot to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oxf
    Linux Newbie

Changing file name uppon dragging

Hi,

Although this question relates to my MP3 player I'm putting it here since its essentially a USB flash. In fact I've used it as such when I've forgot to take my flash drive with me.

I ripped some CD's into Rythmbox so I could put them on my MP3 (Sony Walkman) Once in Rythmbox it did not recognise the CD name and the file was listed as "Unknown". Thats not unusual for some CD's.
    So I renamed the file with the Artist-Album name and dragged it across to the MP3 and it copied successfully. However, once it was on the MP3 it reverts to "Unknown" again! I've tried several times and the result is the same.

I assume this would be the same if I was coppying to a USB flash drive. Any ideas whats happening?

Thanks
    Mike

The mp3 player may be using the id3 tag to name the
    song, instead of the file name. This data is embedded
    in the file. It may be blank.

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    The mp3 player may be using the id3 tag to name the
    song, instead of the file name. This data is embedded
    in the file. It may be blank.
    Hmm maybe thanks. The only thing is I have dragged and named them before OK. Not sure wjy its doing it now though?

Mike

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As rcgreen indicated, the id3 tag which is embedded in the mp3 file and the system file name can be very different. In your case, you probably didn't have a link to the CDDB CD database in Rythmbox so the ripped mp3's didn't get the id3 tag set. That's why your mp3 player cannot determine what the name of the song and/or album is.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    As rcgreen indicated, the id3 tag which is embedded in the mp3 file and the system file name can be very different. In your case, you probably didn't have a link to the CDDB CD database in Rythmbox so the ripped mp3's didn't get the id3 tag set. That's why your mp3 player cannot determine what the name of the song and/or album is.
    Actually my "issue" was more about why I could not rename it manually. I'm sure I did that before but that was on another PC. But reading around I see it's a bit more complicated than I first thought. I'm thinking I should concentrate on getting Rythmbox to read the id3 tag first. In the past I've had a several CD's I ripped which even if I got the CD name correct on my MP3 the individual tracks were still listed as "track 1, 2.." etc and I just left it at that. Thing is I dont see any option in Rythmbox to link to CDDB.

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    OK I admit I've a bit to lern about this ID3 tag issue, tbh until noe I'd never really thought of them being anything more than an MP3 music file. A couple pf questions come to mind though.

1. Why is this particular CD not being recognsed when others are recogised? Just to check I tried it on a windows PC in Win media player and it came up as "unknown" there as well. This is not a very old CD or anything.

2. Am i correct in understanding that I can't simply rename the file in Nautilus but need to use an ID3 tag editor facillity?

Mike

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm not familiar with Rythmbox since I use k3b to rip my cd's. It does allow me to add the artist/album/track information before it rips the tracks. I know it works - I have a lot of albums from independent trad artists that are not in the CDDB database so I have to manually input the information so that it shows up on my mp3 players.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!