Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
[/b] Hello i have just recently made the great exodus from windows to linux, and i have a few problems, i feel that in this linux forum we together can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Suse 8.2 Pro- Programming tools where are they ?!?!

[/b] Hello i have just recently made the great exodus from windows to linux, and i have a few problems, i feel that in this linux forum we together can solve all our problems.

Problem number 1

I cant seem to find any programming tools whatsoever , it was my belief that Linux being a robust OS would have them very easily accessible please please point me in the right direction, I use Suse 8.2 Pro.

Problem number 2

The suse cd player does not seem to play any of my music cds, but when i boot into windows it works just fine. is this some kind of problem with a driver ????

Problem 3

My hard drive was in my view very unfairly partitioned, i wanted more space for windows, however being a newcomer to linux i didnt want to tamper with the systems proposal, so my question is when i uninstall linux, then reinstall will i be able to customize a more favourable partition.??

Thanks[/i]

Linux Guru
    1:
    The C compiler is called gcc (originally GNU C Compiler, nowadays GNU Compiler Collection, since it can do C++, Fortran, ADA, Java as well as probably any language you can think of). Try running it from a terminal to see if it's installed. If it isn't, just install it from the CD. All Linux distributions that I know of ship gcc.
    However, few distributions ship dedicated IDEs, as far as I know. Choose a favorite text editor (I use emacs) and write all your code there instead.

2:
    I have heard recently in this forum that Windows plays CDs without requiring a CD <-> soundcard audio cable. I am sure that this is possible to do in Linux as well, but the ordinary CD players follow the ATAPI CD playing protocol and don't do that. Check if you have an audio cable between your CD ROM and soundcard. If you have that, check your mixer settings so that the CD volume isn't just turned off.

3:
    You will most certainly be able to do that. There are quite a few posts here about partitioning, so just search around for it.

Just Joined!
    I am also a SuSE 8.2 Pro user, and I am glad to see another...
    If you are used to WIndows, like it sounds you are, you are probably used to Visual Studio or something like that... In SuSE, there are a couple of IDEs -- KDevelop, QT Designer, Visual Tcl... To find these, during your install, select the "Detailed Selection..." button. Do a search for any of the above, and I am sure you will find it. If you still have SuSE installed, you could also use Yast2 (you have to be root) and select "Install and remove software packages..." You will also be able to search there. And as for partitioning, like Dolda said, you can partition any way you like...you just need, at bare minimum, two: root ( / ) and swap

hope this helped...

evan hazlett

Linux User
    So if i could just sum this all up in this message so it would be easier to understand.

The problem with my linux cd player could be that i dont have an audio cable running from my cd rom to my sound card. Second it could be simply that the sound is off in the mixer settings.

The compilers/decompilers etc etc are under one package, next time when i install linux i can select this to be installed, or like ehazlett said use yast2
    select "install and remove software packages....." and search for it there to install.

Well if i have summed up what you two people have correctly, then i am very thankful for your help.

Best regards

Linux Guru
    I haven't used SuSE, so I can't make any statements about yast2, but other than that it was correct.

Linux User
    I have done what was asked to get the gcc up, i went to Yast2 add remove/search software and i noticed that some gcc components were already installed , so i thought i would install the rest of the gcc that wasnt.

However as soon as i installed i went to lauch applications under development and it wasnt there.

Please help dolda2000.

thanks

Linux Guru
    That's right. gcc is a compiler; it doesn't have any user interface. You will have to edit your programs in a text editor (there are many that are specially adapted to function as programming editors, like emacs, vi and kwrite), and then compile them in a shell using gcc.

Linux User
    ok then would mozzila be ok for the editing ?

beacuse that one of the few tools that i have.

Linux Guru
    Mozilla?! Mozilla doesn't have an editor at all, does it?

Linux User
    if you can call "composer" an editor, then yes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast