Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, RTnet is an open source hard real-time network protocol stack for Xenomai and RTAI . Currently i want to experiment with it on a realtek8168 NIC but RTnet currently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RTnet driver for realtek8168

Hi,

RTnet is an open source hard real-time network protocol stack for Xenomai and

RTAI . Currently i want to experiment with it on a realtek8168 NIC but RTnet

currently has a driver for realtek8169 but not for 8168.

Is anybody aware of the availability of this particular driver?

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried the 8169 driver? If it doesn't work, then the only thing I can suggest is to get the 8169 driver and modify it to suit.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

8169 driver doesnt work...

Hi,
    First of all thanks for replying. Unfortunately the 8169 driver doesn't work for the 8168 NIC. I have tried it but it doesn't recognize the device.
    Also since i have the opportunity to interact with you i would like to ask another doubt.Basically i am envisaging a packet replay tool using Xenomai and RTnet.The tool will replay packets(broadcast) with precise interpacket gaps (in order of few microseconds)which can then be received by any normal linux PC .So i just need the real time stack without the RTmac module.

Am i on the right track??
    Thanks in advance.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My guess is that the other driver doesn't recognize your hardware is because a device ID differs. Since I don't have the technical specs on these I am making the (possibly very incorrect) assumption that the differences in interfacing are minor, and if you modify the driver to recognize the other device ID codes you might get away with a minimal code delta to get a working driver. That approach has worked for me a number of times in the past.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Unhappy

I have not done any kernel module programming so changing the driver is beyond me.