Find the answer to your Linux question:
I work for a company that sets up and maintains Internet kiosks. All of our deployments are Windows XP or Vista. Occasionally, Windows locks up and we can't remote in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running Windows kiosk virtualized on top of Linux

I work for a company that sets up and maintains Internet kiosks. All of our deployments are Windows XP or Vista. Occasionally, Windows locks up and we can't remote in to reboot them (shocking, but true). I was wondering if there was a way to run Windows on top of Linux utilizing virtual machine technology that was transparent to our users. That way if the Windows guest locked up we could SSH into the host and kill the virtual machine and possibly upload an uncorrupted vm image.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't see why not. You can setup the system to autologin and start the Windows VM. Since Linux is handling the low-level hardware stuff it may be that your Windows applications don't freeze the system as frequently. You will have to do some work to make sure that the local user cannot access the underlying OS, however. In any case, the idea certainly has merit.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!