Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am at a friends for only a short time (i don't have extensive time to research, I apologize). She has a laptop with a broken monitor, as well as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question boot disk which auto (or easily) begins an ssh-server

I am at a friends for only a short time (i don't have extensive time to research, I apologize).
    She has a laptop with a broken monitor, as well as an external HDD, and needs to backup some of the files contained in the computer.

I have been using an SSH server on my home network, and it seems like the easiest way to backup her stuff, without a monitor/w/appropriate cord. I need to set up an ssh-server automatically via a bootdisk, or at least with very little command work, as I cannot see what goes on.

in short:
    I need a bootdisk that automatically begins an ssh-server when it boots.

Just Joined!
    Did you ever get this figured out? I have an old box and no keyboard or mouse that I would like to boot to an SSH server, login and install a proper OS. Any help appreciated. I have looked

Just Joined!
    I have used a Gentoo boot CD to ssh to it, and it was fairly easy. Just need to get the public key from the disk, and know the root password on the CD, I think the sshd daemon starts automatically when it boots.

Without a keyboard it may be harder, as the pre-boot asks a couple questions (which kernel to use, which keyboard setting, etc..). Probably could tweak some things before you burn the disk so it will go through that automatically, you'd have to research that. Hope I helped, and good luck.