Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm creating a bootable USB drive with multiple linux distros as well as other useful boot tools for pc repair, etc. I'm very close but am not really familiar ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Almost there...need some help

Ok, I'm creating a bootable USB drive with multiple linux distros as well as other useful boot tools for pc repair, etc. I'm very close but am not really familiar enough with linux and kernel statements to be able to troubleshoot. I've attached a PNG file showing the file structure on my drive. I've also attached a TXT file showing the Grub menu.lst file. I boot to a Grub list first and, from there, select which image to boot.

I'm using a combination of this website: http :// ww w.pendrivelinux .com/boot-iso-from-usb-flash-drive/ and other resources I've found online to help me create this. The following is what all I'm trying to install:

1. Kubuntu 9.1
    2. Knoppix 6.2
    3. Backtrack 4
    4. Ultimate Boot CD 4.11
    5. Darik's Boot & Nuke 2.0
    6. PMagic 4.7
    7. Active Password Changer

Knoppix, DBAN, and Password Changer all work flawlessly. PMagic boots to it's startup menu and then errors out when trying to start the linux portion. It says it can't find the "pmagic-4.7.sqfs" file. The Ultimate Boot CD won't boot at all...I need to look into it a little more to find the error message.

What I really need help with is Kubuntu and Backtrack. Both start to boot and then kick me to the shell. Actually, Kubuntu booted successfully one time but I can't get it to do it again...and I haven't changed anything.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but can someone take a look at the attached Grub file and see if you see my error? I'd really like to get this working, as it will be an extremely useful tool for repair / troubleshooting / etc.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Given the low cost of reasonably sized USB thumb drives these days, I just use Unetbootin and install only one distribution on each one. The time I save doing this is well worth the cost of the drives.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    See your point but that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do. Right now, I don't like carrying around all the CDs / DVDs when I need to work on someone's computer so I wouldn't want to carry around multiple jump drives either. I'm close to having all of this figured out. I now have UBCD working great too so I just have three systems left...Kubuntu, Backtrack, and Parted Magic. I've almost got Backtrack. It's doable...just have to take the time to figure it out. I know I've got some time invested up front but it will come in handy when it's finished.

Anyone have any suggestions for the last few pieces? I'm now using unetbootin to create a boot image and then imitate that file structure to get everything to work together on my drive. If I get some time over the weekend, I should have it done or close to done.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, it's an interesting problem, but not one I want to deal with. In my case, I use micro sd cards with a USB reader. Yeah, I have to haul around a number of fingernail size chips, each with its own bootable OS, and as I said, it is cheaper, easier, and faster than the method you are trying to accomplish. I applaud your perseverence in trying to get so many distributions to boot from a single thumb drive, but it just doesn't work for me. Sorry. Perhaps someone else on these forums can help you resolve your problems.

FWIW, my time is worth $200-400 USD / hour. If I had to spend more than 5 minutes getting such a solution to work, it costs me more than to purchase a handful of 2GB chips @ about $5 USD per.

Just Joined!
    You're not going to invoice me for these posts are you?

BTW, have everything except Parted Magic working perfectly now. I probably have about four hours in the whole thing. That's worth the convenience of having it later. Plus, I'm the kind that, when I think of a challenge, I can't stop until I accomplish it...that's just me.

Forum posts are pro-bono. No charge here. Just noting that people that post questions and get answers on these forums are getting a lot of benefits that have real financial value. Anyway, you seem to be getting sorted out ok. I understand convenience, but sometimes convenience has to play second fiddle to time-to-deliver.

I agree with rubberman I also do a lot of forensic and recovery work so I have a few (6 of them) pen drives set up Since I am rarely without them or my laptop.
    but if you wish to have multiple os's on the pen drive you just need to make sure they are listed in your bootloader and that they are compatible with the bootloader as well.
    as per the post's you seem to have the handle on this so good luck