Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got dell Inspiron 1440 ,unfortunately It has Windows 7 only. I'll be installing Linux on it.Any one tried installing Linux on this laptop,got any advise or warnings (such as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Distro for Dell Inspiron 1440

I got dell Inspiron 1440 ,unfortunately It has Windows 7 only. I'll be installing Linux on it.Any one tried installing Linux on this laptop,got any advise or warnings (such as ,drivers might be missing ) for me?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

If it can run Windows 7, you should be fine with just about any distro. From what I could find on the 1440 you're looking at an Intel integrated video card, which might or might not give you trouble.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    For Dell systems, Ubuntu seems to work really well. In fact, Ubuntu is the Linux OS supported on most of their laptops, and Red Hat on their servers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, I have used Ubuntu (various versions) without any problems on at least a half dozen different Dell laptops, and everything worked "out-of-the-box".
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!