Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wintel64 Vista32. Factory new HDD. "Quick Format" versus "Long/Default Format." MS nearly says that Quick Format can be used, but then contradicts by saying that Quick Format can be used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Factory New HDD -- Must Long Format be used or can i use Quick Format?

Wintel64 Vista32. Factory new HDD. "Quick Format" versus "Long/Default Format." MS nearly says that Quick Format can be used, but then contradicts by saying that Quick Format can be used only if the hdd has already been formatted Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a "clean" installation of Windows XP -- presumably this means Long Formatted. MS says that Long Format, in Vista (not XP) writes Zeros to every sector, and checks for bad sectors; this is what consumes the massive time of the Long. But I obviously have no need to write zeros, nor check for bad sectors, if I'm dealing with virgin hdd's; therefore, I would reason, that a Long should not be necessary -- but MS suggests that it is, or nowhere says on point that it's not.

This is an important matter because the time difference is staggering. An internal 1TB required 2.5 hrs for Long Format. And a dual bay JBOD, populated with 2 1TB hdd's, connected in RAID (so the system sees it as a single 2TB drive), connected by USB 2.0 (JBOD does not have eSata connector), is threatening, I estimate, between 30-36 consecutive hours!! [Quick Format requires only a few minutes.]

Just Joined!
    I've never done a "long" format, always the quick. Never had a hitch

If Harddisk is brand new then there is no need to do Regular Format. I have never did Regular Format for new disks and everything is working fine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As you surmised, the long format in Windows zeros out the entire disc, forcing the firmware to remap any found bad sectors. This is generally unnecessary for factory new drives of any major drive manufacturer, as they do this before the drive leaves the factory. I've done the long format / remap operation at times when a drive is starting to get bad sectors. However, given the low price per GB of drives these days, it's probably more cost-effective (and faster) to simply get a new drive to replace the old one. So, don't bother with the long format unless you are trying to reuse an old drive and you don't know what condition it is in.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

regardless many new drives can have bad sectors hence the reason for a long format is that it maps the drive for defects and the os can ignore them.
    its best to test the drive when you get them. a good way to do that is to run d-ban on them this will wipe the drive and performe a brute force test on the dirve
    if it finds a few will tell you when it is complete that it finished with non fatal errors.
    but if it finds too many bad sectors it will display that it quit early and the cause may from bad sectors.

I forensically clean drives this way and if dban flags errors on the drive it will not be used