Find the answer to your Linux question:
your probably asking why i have posting a thread about motherboards in a linux forum but the fact is that i have had such good replies to my linux questions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

The Mother Of All Motherboards

your probably asking why i have posting a thread about motherboards in a linux forum but the fact is that i have had such good replies to my linux questions that i thought i would ask your opinion of a motherboard, besides a motherboard is also used by Linux or windows or macos right ? so its not to distant.

I have recently been wanting to upgrade my ram and i cant do this without a new motherboard since the slots are used up, i went to Soyos website
    and seen this Soyo syp4186spe plus dragon 2 ( just type soyo into google and go to its main page theres a big picture of it and its specs.

this is what i am looking for in particluar

1. 1ghz motherboard with DDR ram slots ( ive found excellent DDR!!) www.corsair.com
    2.Bios that has tonnes of help features/multilanguage ( i am pakistani)/rescue bios.
    3.motherboard which DOES NOT have its own graphics card!!! beacuse after a while it will be outdated and it will become obsolete.
    4.Most important a motherboard that can be well tweaked for overclocking

Please go to soyo's website and have a look at the motherboard that i am talking about , and tell me if you would buy it or not if you were in my postion or what you would go for at this time.

Linux Guru
    I'm using an EPoX mobo, with which I am quite content. The model that I'm using is quite old, but rest assured that there are newer models. I found this board very cheap, while still having almost top-of-the-line specs, and thus I'd guess that the newer EPoX boards aren't too different.
    I haven't ever seen a multilingual BIOS, though. Are there such things in existence?

Linux User
    I haven't ever seen a multilingual BIOS, though. Are there such things in existence?
    yes.. I have it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Yes there are multilingual BIOS , perhaps some of the older motherboards dont offer this feature but newer ones do.

The Asus motherboards (the new ones) claim to have an A/I BIOS but i think thats just bull.

However i am interested in the Soyo, gigabyte motherboards but like i said i need some adivice

Linux User

seems good

I think this seems like a pretty good board. Although I never buy intel chips as I find athlons far cheaper and often better.

Although i haven't used a P4. I found that an athlon 700 outperformed a dual XEON 700 with the same ram as a webserver running Win NT and IIS. That was a few years ago. Since then only AMD for me.

I normally go for a cheap and powerful looking board from dabs.com. I have used gigabit, QDI and ASUS and never had any probs with any of them. But i don't nead bilingual. I never go for an on board NIC though. I generally go for a board with little built in as I find it limiting and the drivers for those are sometimes dif to track down for Linux.

As for overclocking, again i never bother. Athlons are so cheap that i can buy a better spec for less than the intel equivalent.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux User
    kpzani:

If you dont mind my asking what kind of ram and motherboard is it that you use?

Linux User

dabs.com

I don't know what my current board is but I bought one for a colleague the other day.

Gigabyte
    SoA AMD 761/VIA ATX A
    From dabs.com - QuickLinks code: 285SWS (£43 inc VAT)

it supports these ram types: DDR266/PC2100, DDR200/PC1600

I am using the 512Mb PC2100 DDR RAM (£57.64). on an Athlon XP 2000+ (runs at 1.67Ghz).

My machine runs very fast for everything except boot up - old hard disk. and launching Open Office.

I haven't got the best spec as budget governs my purchases more than anything else.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    I have a Soyo Dragon & Gigabyte GA7VAX.....both awesome performers as far as stability and the amount of overclocking options in the bios....

as far as price goes the GA7VAX I just picked up about two weeks ago for like $113 cdn.

cant beat that!!!

good luck!

Linux User
    I hear than albatron motherboards are good but i am not so sure about them, thwe thing is there are so many features that i am unsure asto what to do, i mean theres "hyper threading", "dual bios", multilanguage bios, etc etc etc, i think i like the soyo dragon.