Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone! My existing Storage Partition is NTFS. I made another storage partition in my HD and formatted it as Ext3. When I was trying to transfer some files from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] How to Move Files From NTFS to EXT3

Hello Everyone!

My existing Storage Partition is NTFS. I made another storage partition in my HD and formatted it as Ext3.

When I was trying to transfer some files from the NTFS to Ext3, it would not allow me. Error report says that I don't own it. Or something like I don't have the permission to do so.

Can somebody please help me in understanding what's happening and also teach me how to tranfer such files? Would really appreciate it!

As always, thanks in advance!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Are you trying to copy files as Regular User? You have to give ownership of ext3 partition to Regular User.
    Code:
    chown -R user_id:group_id mount_point
    Execute id command to note down User and Group Id assigned to Regular User.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Hello Casper!

Just now, I tried alt+F2 > gksudo nautilus and I was able to change permissions of my ext3 partition.

Thank you very much though!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Nautilus didn't allow to change permissions of Mounted Partitions in earlier versions of Ubuntu.
    Anyways, its really easy to change permissions in GUI but its good to know actual command that runs behind it.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Anyways, its really easy to change permissions in GUI but its good to know actual command that runs behind it.
    Hehehe. GUI is good but I think if I am really serious in really learning I have to step up my game and learn the terminal. Thanks again!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667