Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks to each of you for the info. To answer the question from post #6: I have a good selection of RAM for these systems. Some of the ~200 MHz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks to each of you for the info.

To answer the question from post #6: I have a good selection of RAM for these systems. Some of the ~200 MHz range systems are limited by their motherboards or chipsets -for example 64MB EDO, or a Pentium I with a single SDRAM slot which maxs out at 48MB. But for the most part they'll have 128-384MB. The other 'range' of systems [around 1Ghz] have 256-512MB.

I'm basically trying to find distros for these machines that will run moderate to fast on the particular machine I put it on. I'm looking for standard desktop/personal-use distros. The plan is to give most of the systems to people who haven't used Linux. (new 'recruits' as it were) -And in the process I'll hopefully find a few distros that I personally like.

I installed U-lite on a 1Ghz P3 machine., 512MB RAM. Everthing runs fine, but the web browser ( Kazehakase) doesn't have that familiar browser layout that Firefox has. Its so 'foreign' to me that its disorienting. I could probably learn to use it, but I want something more familiar for the linux-first-timers, so they don't go: "This is Linux? Its confusing and hacker-oriented just as I suspected."

So, what are some applications that would be more familiar-looking, and also run well on the hardware? Some form of Firefox? Also what about a stable word processor, and an email program? Abiword is the defualt word processor but it has too many bugs for my taste.

Also, I'm having trouble finding hardware requirments/recommendations for Slax and tiny core. I'm guessing Slax is for the faster machines, and Tiny core is for the oldies? What about Gentoo?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Some of the older Gentoo versions will run well on memory-constrained systems (as little as 32MB), but if you are going to run a GUI, you are going to hit the swapper for sure, resulting in slow operation. I think the minimum for the latest Gentoo is 64MB, but if you get the minimal install disc/iso you should be able to install on a system with less than that since you will not be installing any drivers or other components you don't need.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2