Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm looking for a distribution that will run nicely on machines with a 200Mhz-350Mhz processors. Not Pentium 2's, but Cyrix MII's, AMD K6-2's, etc and maybe a Pentium Pro. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

light distros, any suggestions?

I'm looking for a distribution that will run nicely on machines with a 200Mhz-350Mhz processors. Not Pentium 2's, but Cyrix MII's, AMD K6-2's, etc and maybe a Pentium Pro.

I tried pup-431-k2.6.21.7-scsi-intel_modems.iso on a 250MHz Cyrix MII machine but it was quite slow.

I'm also looking for distros to put on computers in the 900 - 1400 MHz range (P3's, and Durons). I've tried Xubuntu on a 1Ghz P3, but it was a bit slow.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are a number of distributions that target the older/slower systems such as you mention. See The Linux Home Page at Linux Online for a very complete list of distributions, including minimalist ones such as you are looking for. Besides DSL (Damned Small Linux), there are a lot of others listed there.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the link Rubberman.

For the older systems I found Deli Linux, AntiX, and U-lite, in addition to Puppy which I already tried on a 250MHz MII and it wasn't fast enough (although I may have used the wrong version for the hardware)

DeLi Linux
    U-lite Linux | Where Speed Meets Ease
    Main Page - antiX

I'm still looking for something for the 1Ghz systems.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I don't know how much memory you have but it might be worth looking at Austrumi
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I have looked at slax before but haven't gotten around to trying it. It is a minimal install that looks very nice.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The biggest factor for speed is memory. If you are short of memory, then yuo are hitting the disc to swap virtual memory in/out of core. How much RAM do you have? Also, what services are you running? You can reduce the memory footprint by:

1. Disabling unneeded services
    2. Disabling the X-Windows GUI, or selecting a "thinner" desktop manager, such as TWM.
    3. Rebuilding the kernel to remove unneeded drivers, etc.
    4. Using a distribution that lets you configure the resulting OS exactly to your hardware needs, such as Gentoo.

Many good distributions for building a minimalist system are Gentoo-derived, or Gentoo itself. You configure the kernel with support for just the hardware you need, and only install the software and services you need, which as a result are built from source with the emerge package manager system that Gentoo uses.

Just Joined!
    I checked out the slax website. Is making a custom slax build something that anyone can truly easily learn to do? You always read that slackware is one of the more beginner un-friendly distros. Is Slax an easier version of slackware?

Rubberman:

How/Where can one learn about services, kernel rebuilding, etc. and building a custom distro?

I need to learn the fundamentals, because I'm always seeing these 'building projects' and if I attempt to use them I find its all beyond my knowledge.

There is a lot of useful documentation about this sort of stuff on The Linux Documentation Project. You can find Gentoo at Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News.

Quote Originally Posted by habilis View Post
    I checked out the slax website. Is making a custom slax build something that anyone can truly easily learn to do? You always read that slackware is one of the more beginner un-friendly distros. Is Slax an easier version of slackware?
    Slax is apparently a very simplified version of slackware. You can customize your build online my using the base system and adding the modules that you want, then burning the ISO to a cd. Or you could just install the base system and go to the website to get the other packages you want.

oz
    forum.guy
    Tiny Core might work for you. It's stripped of features, and is extremely lightweight so it should run fast enough. It can be installed to a hard drive although it was designed to run from system RAM.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast