Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm new to the forums and wanted to get everyone's opinion on which distro I should go with on my home computer. First off, let me give you a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Which distro should I go with? (somewhat of a newb)

Hi I'm new to the forums and wanted to get everyone's opinion on which distro I should go with on my home computer.

First off, let me give you a little background. I'm a student and taking a Linux class at a local community college. It's the CompTIA cert. preperation class. 16 week course and all but I've worked with Linux a little before this. I've installed different distros, worked the commands a little. I can do maybe a couple from memory. What I want to accomplish with this distro is do some homework, learn different things and impress some of my friends.

I like Ubuntu, I like SUSE and some of the others. I wanted to try a lot of 64 bit software so I really wanted to take that into consideration.

I'm looking also to really impress some of my friends with the eyecandy of it all and stuff. I also really want to try out some of the higher end Linux games out there. There's a MMORPG that caught my eye but now I can't find it online. Also there's a linux distro I've been hearing about that allows you to use a 3Dish environment and I was hoping someone could tell me briefly abou that one.

Here's my system specs, I have a higher end personal desktop.

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM 1333
    ATI Radeon HD 5870
    80GB OCZ Solid State Disk
    160GB SATA HDD
    Cooler Master HAF 322 case

Anyways, I guess what I'm hoping for is a distro that is somewhat easy to use yet is good for eye candy and can be used with 64 bit software well.
    So please pardon the obnoxiously long post and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome.
    I've always felt Sabayon had a lot of good eye candy but I have not tried the latest version yet. It's based on Gentoo but it doesn't take as long to install as Gentoo does but the updated can take awhile because it's a source based distro.
    You can also check out the Distro quiz, it's pretty good.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
    Some good games for Linux, Saurbraten, Duke Nukem 3D, Alien Arena, Battle for Wesnoth and many more.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Talking Thanks!

Thanks for the quick post! I'm going to give Sabayon a try. Right now just messing around with Ubuntu until the torrent for Sabayon is done. We use SUSE in class so I'm wondering if I should just use that.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely have to give those games a try too.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinov View Post
    Thanks for the quick post! I'm going to give Sabayon a try. Right now just messing around with Ubuntu until the torrent for Sabayon is done. We use SUSE in class so I'm wondering if I should just use that.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely have to give those games a try too.
    Welcome to the forums!

Sabayon definitely has the eye candy that some will find appealing, and Suse has long been a top contender for favorite distro for many Linux users. Any of the top 10 or so distros in the page rank list at DistroWatch.com would probably be a good place to start your search for the best distro for you and your hardware.

Hope you'll continue to have fun with Linux.
    oz

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by fartis View Post
    i would try to china communist version (not a joke it is real)
    Any particular reason why?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.