Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new in this forum and I don't know if this has been discussed. I've installed red hat linux 8.0 to many systems. In some machines while loading it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

IA32 Code Update?

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I don't know if this has been discussed. I've installed red hat linux 8.0 to many systems. In some machines while loading it displays a message like Applying IA32 Code Update. What does this mean? And why it doesn't apply this "update" in other machines. By the way all machines are p4 so it should apply this update in all machines (since they all have IA32 code)??

Linux Guru
    At what stage of loading is it displayed? Is it during kernel booting, during execution of rc.sysinit or is it while entering the initial runlevel?

Just Joined!
    during run levels

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Not in rc.sysinit, then? If so, just check the corresponding rc script (in /etc/rc.d/rc<n>.d/, where <n> is the runlevel you enter at startup).

Just Joined!
    I'm not asking how to start it; it is may be because of my english. I'm asking what its functionality and benefits.
    Thanks.

Linux Guru
    No, of course not, I'm just trying to help you find out what it does. I run RH8, too, but it doesn't do that on my box, so I'm curious, too. To find out what it does, you must first find the file in which it is.