Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm dualbooting Fedora and Eeebuntu, each with it's own / partition, and a common /home partition, and separate folders within it. I've just set up Rhythmbox in Fedora to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] Shared home partition, preventing duplicates

I'm dualbooting Fedora and Eeebuntu, each with it's own / partition, and a common /home partition, and separate folders within it. I've just set up Rhythmbox in Fedora to use /home/Music for the music folder (will soon get Banshee in Eeebuntu to follow suit), and plan a similar setup for programs, example being a program with a new version released that isn't in either distro's repositories. The executable would reside in /home/Programs/Program Type/ProgramFolder/Program Name. Are there any possible problems that could arise with this sort of setup beyond one OS determining it doesn't have sufficient permissions to read/write the folder?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There will be problems with file and directory permissions unless all the groups and users have the same ID's on both operating systems. This is not likely to happen, unless you alter the ID's (in /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow). That is also very dangerous unless you are very sure of what you are doing.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I have used this type of setup for awhile now and I have recently stopped doing it because it really is best and easiest if you use a different user name for each system you have. You'll run into headaches if you don't. Even if you get the user ID and file permissions right it will not be good enough. Let's say you have one /home/arinlares for all OS's and you installed Amarok into each distro, then you set Amarok with a special theme that you like, now you boot into your other distro and Amarok looks exactly the same as the other distro. Same for your desktop wall paper and all the apps you installed. Let's say you want to try a new distro,,,using the same home folder and permissions..you guessed it, the new install will look just like the old one because all those settings are stored in your /home folder. I don't know about you but I want to see the defaults when I install a new distro. Of course this doesn't happen as bad if you switch from Gnome to KDE or vice versa.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Rubberman hit it in the head for me. I'll just keep my current system.

MikeTbob: Did that a while ago, problem being that Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.04 are mind-boggling incompatible (Firefox 3.5.7 in Fedora vs 3.0.17 in Eeebuntu). I'll never do that again.

Thanks, guys, I'll keep my distro's files separated from now on, no matter what.