Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody i'm new to linux(ubuntu)and i love it, its exactly what i always wanted as a system. but i do miss windows/vista(1 reason only, MY GAMEZ!!) but heres the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post [SOLVED] Need help with restoring Vista

Hello everybody

i'm new to linux(ubuntu)and i love it, its exactly what i always wanted as a system.
    but i do miss windows/vista(1 reason only, MY GAMEZ!!)

but heres the problem, my pc came with windows vista already on it + a system recovery in bios.(a seperate backup partion on the vista harddisk)
    i installed ubuntu 8.xx(don't know exactly anymore) on a old hard drive i still had(80G)
    i had a nice good working dual boot with vista and ubuntu.

but then i made a mistake in CCleaner, and the program did something that messed up my harddisk and vista now starts with the blue screen of death.
    so now i always use ubuntu(version 9.10 now ofcourse).

now i made a backup of all my important files/games, and now i want to run the system recoverythingy.
    but the bios doesnt respond to it anymore(if i press F11, recovery button, nothing happens)
    i've tried to remove the linux harddisk and then try it again but again nothing happend and somehow i still got GRUB(+errors ofcourse )

so im thinking i must do something with the GRUB?? can GRUB launch the restorething or is there something else i can do?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Greetz Hellsnake/Axel

P.S.
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section, im a new XD

Hi and Welcome !

Unplug Linux Hard disk and boot up from Vista installation or recovery media. Follow instructions from here to re-install Vista Boot Loader.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    dude i told you, i DONT have a installation DVD.
    and i already unplugged the Harddisk and i still cant access the recovery menu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    vista now starts with the blue screen of death
    Its not possible to fix it without Repair or Installation DVD.
    GRUB has been installed in MBR of Vista Harddisk and you have re-install Vista Boot Loader.

There are a few tools available to re-install Vista Boot Loader but most of those need to be executed in Vista only.

Try SuperGRUB CD or USB.

Just Joined!
    hahahah m8 good advice, but a few minutes to late.
    i googled my *** off and found supergrub, burned it, and found the system recovery
    vista is now booting(applying settings bla bla)
    anyways, thanks for your help, but just a bit to late

this topic can be closed i gues.
    and for any people who have the same problem and find this post by googleing, just download supergrub and burn it, go to 'boot partition' and try somestuff out.

Well ! One can find solution of almost all common problems through google quickly.

Do start a new thread if you have any other question.