Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, im rather new to linux and i dont know about EVERYTHING it can do quite yet. I have a windows xp pc that is full of the usuall viruses/spyware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cleaning up windows viruses with linux?

Hello, im rather new to linux and i dont know about EVERYTHING it can do quite yet. I have a windows xp pc that is full of the usuall viruses/spyware and was wondering if there was any way to say plug the HD in as an external drive to a linux box and clean all that stuff off? Like a program or something?? I do alot of IT work and have to do stuff like this alot and it would make it easear on me if i had a strong way of removing this stuff. Please let me know or if you have any alternate ideas for me. Thx.

The easy way to do it would be to boot your infected computer from a Live CD, and then clean it up. Apparently there is a Linux Live CD called 'PLoP Linux' which is made specifically for system-restore type situations, and has a couple of anti-virus programs on it. Sounds like it might be worth checking out.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceminer143 View Post
    The easy way to do it would be to boot your infected computer from a Live CD, and then clean it up. Apparently there is a Linux Live CD called 'PLoP Linux' which is made specifically for system-restore type situations, and has a couple of anti-virus programs on it. Sounds like it might be worth checking out.
    sweet, ill check that out thanks.

There are a couple of different live linux distros that are good for this. I like systemrescue cd.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    There are a couple of different live linux distros that are good for this. I like systemrescue cd.
    do you know if that has the antivirus pre installed?

I try'd to use that plop linux and it has no GUI, and i was unable to find much documentation on it to help me through. Like i said, im pretty new to the linux world still.

SystemRescue CD does have clamav installed. It starts at the console by default, I believe, but you just enter "wizard" to start the GUI.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I use Linux to clean windows systems of viruses all the time. There are several free or cheap versions of very good scanners available. I use ClamAV, but also AVG, McAfee, and F-Prot Linux versions. For a really bad infection, I use three of these at their most sensitive heuristic settings. I get a lot of false positives that way, but it also gets the nastiest little buggers! Symantec also has a Linux version - haven't tried that yet.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!