Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I want to know if there is a live Linux distro that boots directly into terminal and enables me to run my own bash scripts or create new ones, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Is there a linux that boots into terminal?+other question

Hi,

I want to know if there is a live Linux distro that boots directly into terminal and enables me to run my own bash scripts or create new ones, browse text files and see list of other files, browse the internet [perhaps using Netrik] and that's it.

I want it this way because I sometimes turn on the pc just to check my Gmail, and it takes more than 3 minutes to boot into Windows [my hardware is not very old though]. After checking my Gmail, I tend to waste some time browsing the net etc...

So I want sth that boots really quick [less than a minute], runs a bash script [that I write] to check my Gmail, and [if possible] allows me to use Netrik to browse the internet in text mode.

Is there anything like that? if not, what's the closest similar thing?

Thanks alot,

Debian can do that. Just make sure "Desktop" is unselected when you're installing. It's basically their server version but there is no reason you can't use it for what you're after
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieren View Post
    Debian can do that. Just unselect "Desktop" when you're installing
    Thanks for the reply,
    But it raises two problems:
    1- I want a live distro [I have no space to install Linux]
    2- I don't think Debian is light enough to boot under 1 minute

Thanks anyway,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How about Damn Small Linux then?
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieren View Post
    How about Damn Small Linux then?
    It has a GUI
    I already tried it.
    In fact, I first discovered Netrik over there, so is there any way to mod DSL and strip off the stuff that I don't need [such as GUI and all the other apps with a GUI?]
    I'm somehow a Linux noob so I don't know if that is possible, plz help.

It would be much more better if there was a ready-made live linux distro that matches my description.

Thanks,

You can use the Arch Linux Core CD.

Or systemrescue cd will boot into a console by default, with an optional GUI.

What are your hardware specs? Even a GUI linux should normally boot in well under a minute?

Your best bet might be to spin your own live CD using something like the Ubuntu Customization Kit.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for help!

I accidentally found sth called ttylinux, [can't post link cuz I'm a new member, Google it if you like]

It booted into terminal in about 12 seconds on the live CD!

I tried some Bash commands, and all seem to be working so far,
    They say it has a built in text only web browser, but I can't find it [any help would be appreciated ]

The whole system is about 6.7 mb or so, so it wont take you a long time to give it a try

Thanks anyway

There is lynx, links, links2, elink...

There is also w3c, which can display graphics without X as long as the Linux framebuffer device is enabled.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

I installed ttylinux in a virtual machine a little bit ago. It does have a text browser, but a fairly obscure one called retawq.

It's an interesting little project. Very limited number of packages available though. But if all you want is a fast boot, ethernet connection, and a web browser, it could be fine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I installed ttylinux in a virtual machine a little bit ago. It does have a text browser, but a fairly obscure one called retawq.

It's an interesting little project. Very limited number of packages available though. But if all you want is a fast boot, ethernet connection, and a web browser, it could be fine.
    Oh, thanks

One last question for you:
    How do I connect to internet in ttylinux?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast