Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Ahhhh ok....thanks. I happen to find this product. I'm not sure if they can really do it or this is just baloney.

Compressing huge DVD movies to 700mb DVD-rips | TechLighten
    That sounds like DivX compression.

Hi guys!

I found thoggen to be an easier way to rip dvd in the sense that I just clicked my way through some choices. The output however seems to be of lesser quality.

Now I don't know if this is just an optical illusion on my part . One obvious difference though was in the time of ripping. What dvd::rip did in 30 minutes, thoggen did in almost real time as if I have to wait for the whole movie to finish.

Both has its own advantages and disadvantages. I noticed though that in dvdrip, I have the option to transcode even as I rip.

Thanks.....
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I am in for easy, so I use dvdfab and after it does it's magic, dvd shrink. Yes they are both windows programs but both run great under WINE just great. You can even pay for the dvdfab license and get all the bells and whistles if you want to.
    Then if after I decrypt, rip and shrink I use one or the other of the previously mentioned to do any editing I may want to. They all have something they do better than the other.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have used DVDshrink, et al on Windoze, but I prefer

1. For DVD break/copy - dvdbackup
    2. For video transcoding - ffmpeg

I have licenses for TMPGenc, etc on Windoze, but I decided a couple of years ago to move entirely to Linux for video processing software, and I cannot say that I regret that decision in the slightest. Compared to ffmpeg, TMPGenc is a bogus POS, and compared to dvdbackup, anything else on Windows is likewise. The only reason I can think of to use DVDshrink is to backup a DVD-DL disc to a single layer disc. In any case, in 2 years, I have not needed to use ANY Windows software for video ripping or transcoding. I only use (under Wine) TMPGenc DVD Author to create DVD videos from mpegs. I own a license for that as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Ahhhh ok....thanks. I happen to find this product. I'm not sure if they can really do it or this is just baloney.

Compressing huge DVD movies to 700mb DVD-rips | TechLighten
    I'm sure they can do it, but the loss in quality is going to be unacceptable even on an average screen. As noted, DVDs are already somewhat compressed, so any further compression is going to require a lossy codec to do the job. Try a few, and view them on fullscreen on your computer (no matter the size of your HDTV, the screen resolution is lower than any recent computer screen of 19" size or larger, or laptop screen of 15" or larger). If you can live with the quality loss, then go for it.

Personally I just keep the DVDs in a library case and throw away all the bulky, space-wasting cases they come in. I have no videos that I watch frequently enough to warrant ripping to hard disk. I would not mind getting rid of all of the "fluff" on commercial DVDs, but the time and HD space investment is just not worth it, even with close to 14TB available.

Yeah!

I guess I just wanted to know and experience how to do it. I also tried "vobcopy". Darn! I can't believe it, 7 letters are just what i needed to type and there she goes ripping them dvds.

I also tried once and was very successful in just copying the original dvd (iso) to a blank dvd.

I must say, I am more drawn to just buy a lot of blank dvds at around USD .25 and just use these copies to play on players and laptops. Then I can stack all my originals in a library, for collection. Keepsake actually.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

backup dvds

I believe that the best thing is to make a copy of your DVD and to keep the files in a hard drive for backup in case your DVD disk (copy) gets a scratch or it becomes useless.

There are many ways to rip dvds.

My method consists in using dvdbackup to rip the whole dvd and store the files in the hard disk.

From these files, you can make an iso image with K3B and burn it on a dual layer dvd disk. So you get an identical copy of the original.

In the past (when I had a single layer burner) I was using DVDShrink (for windows) runing with WINE. With DVDShrink I split the movie in two dvds of single layer. Like this, I conserved all the original resolution of the original DVD. My 10 cents

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I do pretty much what Maxei said. I use dvdbackup to rip the contents of the disc (removing the DRM) to a hard drive. Then I convert it to an ISO image that I can easily burn to disc or mount as a virtual disc. Then I can extract the actual video from the VOB files if I want, or play the virtual disc on my computer.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!