Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello Everyone, After several weeks of figuring out , I was able to rip my first DVD (Lord of the Rings). I find it to be a very big file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DVD::RIP Success! How to Compress Please?

Hello Everyone,

After several weeks of figuring out , I was able to rip my first DVD (Lord of the Rings).

I find it to be a very big file at 4G though. I plan to back-up quite a lot of movies and am afraid that if this goes on, my HD would be full in no time.

May I please ask for some help on how to compress these rips without sacrificing quality?

Thank you in advance!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    May I please ask for some help on how to compress these rips without sacrificing quality?
    Well, a single-sided/layer DVD is about 4GB in size and is already compressed, therefore this is how big a file of the same quality is. If you merely want to archive it, you can try to pack it with .bz2, but I doubt you will win much.

Any further compression beyond that will result in loss of information and with that quality. It is under your discretion how much quality you are ready to trade for size.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Ahhhh ok....thanks. I happen to find this product. I'm not sure if they can really do it or this is just baloney.

Compressing huge DVD movies to 700mb DVD-rips | TechLighten
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Ahhhh ok....thanks. I happen to find this product. I'm not sure if they can really do it or this is just baloney.
    Whether it can, or it can't, that looks to be "Windows only" software.
    oz

DVD::RIP can do the same thing as that software. Despite what it says, you will lose quality. Now, on relatively small screens, the quality loss isn't necessarily all that noticeable, so if you're not looking to watch the move on a big screen TV, that may be fine.

dvd::rip - A full featured DVD Ripper GUI for Linux, written in Perl

DVD::RIP is a bit complicated. An easier tool is Handbrake. My main complaint with Handbrake is that it defaults you to and focuses on h.264 which has some onerous licensing issues. But you can easily change it to an mkv container and theora codec.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The only way to really compress it is to transcode it to a more compressed format, such as mpeg4. I use ffmpeg to do that sort of work. You should be able to get a 4GB mpeg2 image down to about 1.5GB or less that way, though you will probably lose some resolution in the process as these are "lossey" compression algorithms.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    that looks to be "Windows only" software.
    Yeah. I didn't notice that actually.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Thanks. Am now ripping another one using thoggen. It is a much simpler way than dvd::rip w/c was what I used the first time.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The only way to really compress it is to transcode it to a more compressed format, such as mpeg4. I use ffmpeg to do that sort of work. You should be able to get a 4GB mpeg2 image down to about 1.5GB or less that way, though you will probably lose some resolution in the process as these are "lossey" compression algorithms.
    Thanks. I guess I just have to give it a try and see for myself
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast