Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi people I am new to linux and was loading it into my laptop it was going great! until i turned my computer off, when i rebooted it. It did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu not booting up

Hi people I am new to linux and was loading it into my laptop it was going great! until i turned my computer off, when i rebooted it. It did not work this was on the screen how do i fix ubuntu wildmoonelf (matt)

[ 2.238340 kernel panic-hot syncing :VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,2)

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1047068

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wildmoonelf View Post
    Hi people I am new to linux and was loading it into my laptop it was going great! until i turned my computer off, when i rebooted it. It did not work this was on the screen how do i fix ubuntu wildmoonelf (matt)

[ 2.238340 kernel panic-hot syncing :VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,2)

That looks pretty much like a corrupted filesystem I would
    , start from a live CD (so that the partition in question is not mounted) and run
    "fsck /dev/sdaX" (for ext2/ ext3), "reiserfsck /dev/sdaX" (for reiserfs) or "xfs_repair /dev/sdaX"
    (for XFS) and substitute /dev/sdaX with your actual partition.
    for more information on fsck use a terminal and do man fsck

The corrupted filesystem is almost certainly the initramfs. Boot the live Ubuntu CD, but do
    update-initramfs -k all -c -v
    per the thread posted.

Corrupted...

Yep I concur or maybe fault on hard disk.
    LiveCD is the way to go. If that runs and you can do things like get onto the Internet download and make a Sipergrub CD it has helped me out in the past. It can help at boot time when there are problems booting into systems. I don't think it will help in this instance though.
    Try a reinstall if the LiveCD works.