Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any Live CDs or any Live CD distros that use version 2.2 GNU Parted? 2.2 was just released. I want to use it....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNU Parted?

Is there any Live CDs or any Live CD distros that use version 2.2 GNU Parted? 2.2 was just released. I want to use it.

oz
    forum.guy
    The Parted Magic 4.9 LiveCD has it included:

Parted Magic 4.9

http://beefdrapes.partedmagic.com/pm...Feb,122959.zip
    oz

Just Joined!
    Does it have parted ver. 2.1 included?

I'm asking because I read that it allows for an easier time aligning partitions on those 4k byte sector drives.

Linux Not Fully Prepared for 4096-Byte Sector Hard Drives

I read that plus many many more articles and I'm still really confused. I want to get a drive for storage. Maybe I should get an 'ordinary' traditional legacy drive but these new drives are cheap now and some reviewers say they are good for storage.

I would try one out but only if there are some updates to gparted/parted. I doubt whether I can understand what these writers are presenting. Some use fdisk. Some use parted. Others say to use fdisk and start the first sector at:
    32 or 40 or 56 or 64 - so, which one?!?

Others say to create the drive with 224 heads, others say 255 is fine.

If parted ver. 2.1 has support for these drives, maybe there is some calculation already done saving the user from determining this?

I know that Windows 7 and Vista will align with 240 heads and 63 sectors and then makes another adjustment so that the first partition is aligned. I plan on using the drive with ONE partition full of data. Should I use ext3 or ext4 file system?

I bet you didn't expect so many more questions, huh? I hope someone can answer. I am trying to figure it out on my own but maybe too much info and it's all over the place.

oz
    forum.guy
    The programs included with Parted Magic are listed here:

Parted Magic: Programs Included

...but you'll need to check the following page to see current versions along with what's been added, updated, or removed from one release to the next:

Parted Magic Change Log
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I checked it, but thanks anyway.

I guess ver.4.9 has not been released yet but I downloaded and unzipped it anyway.

I am more familiar with System Rescue CD for partitioning jobs but Parted Magic looks interesting.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin2 View Post
    I guess ver.4.9 has not been released yet but I downloaded and unzipped it anyway.
    The developer, Patrick Verner, is always looking for testers so he'll be happy that you are using it, especially if you report any bugs that you find. I've used 4.9 a couple of times and it worked much better than either 4.7 or 4.8, for me.
    oz